• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal Tit finds new nest site. (1 Viewer)

devon.birder

Whilst laying in bed a few days ago and gazing out of the bedroom window I suddenly noticed a bird going in to the gap between the bottom roof slate and the gutter. As Blue Tits are sometimes seen looking for food around the gutters and windows I assumed that is what it was doing on this occasion.
However, this morning I saw a Coal Tit going in to the hole carrying a beak full of nesting material. Before I got up from bed I watched it going in and out a couple more times carrying nesting material.
I have a very large mature garden with numerous trees. The garden is saturated with various kinds of nest boxes and I recently told my wife not to let me buy any more boxes as there is just nowhere else suitable to put them up.
It seem strange therefore to find Coal Tits preferring a gap under my roof to build their nest rather than a purpose built nestbox. Nevertheless I am delighted that I will have another excuse to stay in bed mornings!!!.
Roger

Birds always have a habit of surprising you! Must be nice not to have to get out of bed to watch the coal tits comings and goings.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back