• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia - Minca and Tayrona: what to do? (3 Viewers)

I will support that in almost everything you do in Colombia, you will need whatsapp. If you go the route of mototaxis (the following is my impressions, I did not use them), there is a large group of them at the bridge in central Minca, and if you need an early pickup one day with one of those, talking with them the previous day would work. If you want to have pickup by them at El Dorado, then you will need a whatsapp number for one of them ahead of time, they are not standing around at the lodge.

With regards to transfer to El Dorado using Silvana, I arranged that using whatsapp the day before.
Niels
Brilliant thanks for the info. I think I am also coming to terms with the fact that this is going to be a very expensive leg in our the trip. But that’s fine, we will drink sea water and eat rocks in Tayrona. ;)

So the reservation people for ProAves hotels send me pdfs with this map in it. Does that mean that technically I could walk through path within the reserve all the way to the ridge? Hard to say where this entrance on the top right in the picture is and where it is. Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 11
In principle yes you could. I believe there is about a 1000 m elevation difference, so to do so in a reasonably time period would mean that you should be really fit.

At estacion La Cumbre you would do the left fork (labeled 6 on the map) and walk to the tower, and from there you can get out onto the road. When I visited, we drove to that same area and it was out on the road that we saw most of the species including the parakeet etc.
Niels

My partner just asked me if there would be a shop at the estacion to buy water and food. That gives you an idea of our level of awareness for such activities.

Is it possible to take away lunch at El Dorado and buy extra disposable water bottles?

I really want to try though.

What is the deal about that ridge? I don’t understand how species are all up there and not 200 to 300 meters further down in the reserve.

I do not know what would be available if anything at the estacion.

Generally in SA mountains, elevation is everything with regards to which species of birds are present. There is more than 500 m difference in elevation according to the map you yourself uploaded. At the elevation of the lodge are some species that you do not see further up. Minca town has some species not seen at either of those elevations.
Niels

I do not know what would be available if anything at the estacion.

Generally in SA mountains, elevation is everything with regards to which species of birds are present. There is more than 500 m difference in elevation according to the map you yourself uploaded. At the elevation of the lodge are some species that you do not see further up. Minca town has some species not seen at either of those elevations.
Niels
Yes of course. Sorry I was joking about the shop. Well my partner wasn’t. I rechecked the change in altitude and yes it is a good 600m. I think some people might actually do the walk on the road but that doesn’t strike me as appealing. I will do more research about the path within the reserve and see if it is possible/ and whether I would end up missing all the birds.

When we were there someone was running up to the ridge! (Not a birder!)
600m at that elevation is tough going but fine if you are fit.

No shop at ProAves but plenty of shops in Minca, just need to plan before you go up.
We came back down for lunch, but I'm sure if you asked in advance ProAves would organise you something.

....and yes you probability of seeing certain targets certainly reduced (to nil for some probably!) if you don't go up to the ridge.
You will still see cool birds though :)

It means a motorcycle. So one motorcycle per passenger but easy to arrange in Minca, probably also in El Dorado. I took one from Santa Marta to Minca (with large suitcase balanced on handlebars), and another to / from the transmitter where I stayed. I forget the 4x4 cost from El Dorado => ridge when I was there but I remember enough to know it was extortionate.
Ok, agree that would be fine to the lodge. I'm fairly robust but not sure I'd be excited about taking one up to the ridge, though I'm sure they'd have a go!

It means a motorcycle. So one motorcycle per passenger but easy to arrange in Minca, probably also in El Dorado. I took one from Santa Marta to Minca (with large suitcase balanced on handlebars), and another to / from the transmitter where I stayed. I forget the 4x4 cost from El Dorado => ridge when I was there but I remember enough to know it was extortionate.
Someone else in a trip report stated they were told to have one motorcycle per person and an additional motorcycle per large suitcase. With (in my case) four motorcycles, price difference probably would have been minimal for getting from Minca to the lodge.
Niels

Yes of course. Sorry I was joking about the shop. Well my partner wasn’t. I rechecked the change in altitude and yes it is a good 600m. I think some people might actually do the walk on the road but that doesn’t strike me as appealing. I will do more research about the path within the reserve and see if it is possible/ and whether I would end up missing all the birds.
I walked up via the trails on the second day. It is very possible. Maybe 2-3 hour walk with birding most the way. Last bit is relatively steep and not particularly birdy. You can then walk down the road, stopping at one of the shabby hostels to buy lunch or water bottles. Can also arrange a packed lunch through El Dorado.

I walked up via the trails on the second day. It is very possible. Maybe 2-3 hour walk with birding most the way. Last bit is relatively steep and not particularly birdy. You can then walk down the road, stopping at one of the shabby hostels to buy lunch or water bottles. Can also arrange a packed lunch through El Dorado.
Is the trail evident? I would hate to get lost in that mountain.

Very. The bigger issue is getting to the sacred lake for dawn. It would mean a very early start if walking from el dorado and you'd need good torches as the road is very stony and somewhat treacherous
Thanks!

Can you send me the gps locations of that sacred lake?

What will I miss if I arrive at 9am there for example? Parraket?

Oh and, is the trail pretty? The forest and the views?

Thanks!

Can you send me the gps locations of that sacred lake?
Laguna sagrada on your map
What will I miss if I arrive at 9am there for example? Parraket?
Yes. I was too late for it there and I was there just after dawn
Oh and, is the trail pretty? The forest and the views?
Ish

You want to be up around the higher areas earlier for maximum activity. From el dorado upwards, you have grey-throated leaf tosser but in my experience this was only active and visible in the half light just before/at dawn. At the biological station guans were common in the evening

Laguna sagrada on your map

Yes. I was too late for it there and I was there just after dawn

Ish

You want to be up around the higher areas earlier for maximum activity. From el dorado upwards, you have grey-throated leaf tosser but in my experience this was only active and visible in the half light just before/at dawn. At the biological station guans were common in the evening
The trail is really pretty. I think you are referring to the road?

Along the trail, I saw White-tipped Quetzal, Lined Quail-Dove, Yellow-bellied Chat-Tyrant, Slaty-backed Nightingale Thrush. It's good forest for about 2/3 of it and then a really steep bit in some crappy destroyed habitat up to the super area round the sacred lagoon. With birding on route, I suspect you won't be at the sacred lagoon until 11. This will cost you Band-winged Nightjar, Santa Marta Parakeet, Stygian Owl and probably will make the two antpittas more difficult. I'd recommend arranging a vehicle with Silvana. I can't remember the exact cost but think it was in region of $150. The Bush-Tyrant and Black-backed Thornbill are just really tricky and we did not get either of them (though heard the Bush-Tyrant).

We found the leaftosser in the lodge grounds early one morning and it is relatively common by voice but tricky to see.

Along the trail, I saw White-tipped Quetzal, Lined Quail-Dove, Yellow-bellied Chat-Tyrant, Slaty-backed Nightingale Thrush. It's good forest for about 2/3 of it and then a really steep bit in some crappy destroyed habitat up to the super area round the sacred lagoon. With birding on route, I suspect you won't be at the sacred lagoon until 11. This will cost you Band-winged Nightjar, Santa Marta Parakeet, Stygian Owl and probably will make the two antpittas more difficult. I'd recommend arranging a vehicle with Silvana. I can't remember the exact cost but think it was in region of $150. The Bush-Tyrant and Black-backed Thornbill are just really tricky and we did not get either of them (though heard the Bush-Tyrant).

We found the leaftosser in the lodge grounds early one morning and it is relatively common by voice but tricky to see.
Thanks. It sounds like the right thing to do would be to get dropped up there and walk down the trail back to lodge on foot. Without a guide then? We are terrible birdwatchers.

Could someone drop me the gps location of where the trail for el dorado starts from the ridge? I can’t seem to figure it out comparing the drawn map and google maps.

yes
sounds good. For me, the thornbill was along the road above the biological station; white-tipped quetzal lower down [but perhaps above el dorado iirc]

We are terrible birdwatchers.
If you feel that way and you want to see it all, then I would recommend using a guide. Several of these species are tricky; I got the parakeet and the bush-tyrant but missed the quetzal, just to mention one. Black-backed Thornbill was another miss - the guide felt this one varied in presence/absence at different parts of the year.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back