• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comet Nishimura (1 Viewer)

mwhogue

Well Known Member
No expert nor astronomer here, but did anyone else see the Comet this morning? I had heard about it but wasn't planning to look for it because all previous comets in my 69 years have been disappointing dull smudges or blurs even when viewed with some decent telescopes. Interesting to see but optically underwhelming for me.

This morning conditions and (coincidental) timing were near perfect. At 6:11 a.m CST in the Houston Texas area I walked out and glanced up to the NE. There I saw a very large and intensely bright object. It looked like a searchlight on an oncoming helicopter but was a rich emerald green. My first impression was it had to be an exceptional view of Venus. I stared at it alternating between naked eye and my SV FP 10x32.

By 6:16 a.m. it struck me. This had to the Comet. Relatively low heat and humidity but with patchy scattered/mixed dense and light cloud cover. It was clearly visible even through light sections of the clouds. In the clear, it was by far the largest and brightest object I have ever seen in the night sky except for the moon. Two planets were also visible higher overhead (I haven't check this maybe Jupiter and Mars?). In both size and brightness, the Comet exceeded the planets by at least an order of magnitude, as a layman's guesstimate. It was clearly visible until 7:36 a.m. when it became completely obscured by heavy cloud cover. I never saw a tail, but with the SW it appeared to have a rhomboid shape, a bit more square than elongated.

Predictions as recently as 22 hours before had been less than optimistic regarding viewing conditions but with a definite "with comets, you never know".

In between, a red shouldered hawk flew above me. Given the angle of light its belly feathers looked like copper, as bright as any hummingbird's.

I'm still tingling. If I'm way off base on the Comet please let me know.

Mike

Not sure what you saw, but definitely not the comet. At that time in Huston it was still well below the horizon - these days, it's visible in the evening, not morning. According to all recent observations it's also not bright enough to be seen with naked eye.

Not sure what you saw, but definitely not the comet. At that time in Huston it was still well below the horizon - these days, it's visible in the evening, not morning. According to all recent observations it's also not bright enough to be seen with naked eye.

Thanks opisska. It was a once in a lifetime view of Venus then. Still clearly visible through light cloud cover at 6:59 a.m. I'll look again tonight for the Comet.

Mike

Here is the go-to site for comet information. Nishamura is currently 6th magnitude, which is a bright comet, but only barely visible to the naked eye under very dark and clear skies. It's also super close to the sun right now, you must have seen Venus. Hard to explain the green color....comets are usually greenish and Venus is yellow/gold, must have been the cruddy stuff in the sky changing the color.

It's gonna be tough, it's getting closer and closer to the Sun in the sky. Yes, it's also getting brighter - two days ago it was like 2.5 mag, but at the twilight sky, it's hard to find. Probably Huston is better than Prague by being further South, but still difficult.

I saw this comet with Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 on 09.08.2023 in the morning at 5:30. Very difficult with indirect vision

Rhomboid shape probably astigmatism.

Bright naked eye comets probably occur once a century brighter than Venus.
They have tails, often long.

A coloured Venus is due to sky conditions.
Venus is usually white.

Mercury is also white from good locations with clean air, but in England it is usually pink, as it is low when seen.

Even bright comets are not seen well or at all when the elongation from the Sun is small, say less than 20 or 25 degrees.

Other bright objects in the night or evening sky are hovering helicopters with searchlights on.

Large inflatables or Goodyear type balloons with bright lights. Usually soundless.

Adverts under slow moving fixed wing aircraft. Soundless.

Bright streetlights reflected from the underwings of herring gulls.

Drones, nowadays, sometimes flown by people having a laugh,

Lanterns that are lit by fire.
These can cause forest fires when the ground is very dry.

I have seen buzzards at nearly 2,000ft reflecting city lights.
Through 18x50 IS.
They may follow motorways.
But too dim for naked eye views.

Elon Musk's Starlink monstrosities.

Point source meteors, i.e. heading straight towards you from the radiant.

The list of possibilities is long.

But Venus is usually the most often reported UFO.

Regards,
B.

Oh it was no "dud". While it was still on the morning sky (until a week ago), it was quite spectacular - it only needed a larger telescope. I watched in the morning of September 5 and we saw the double tail that existed at that time. From photos, it was probably best around September 8/9 and then it went downhill quickly as it neared the Sun on the sky.

Thanks opisska. It was a once in a lifetime view of Venus then. Still clearly visible through light cloud cover at 6:59 a.m. I'll look again tonight for the Comet.

Mike
Isn't Venus closest and brightest on the 19th? if so, an even greater once in a lifetime view potential

The brightness of Venus doesn't really change very quickly and very much, apart of the few days around lower conjunction when it is invisible away. Yes, this is a good time to observe Venus, but that is true about half of the time.

Venus was closest a month ago.

It is magnitude minus 4.7 most of September 2023.

Diameter now about 40 arcseconds.

Phase about 25%.

Elongation from Sun about 38 degrees.

B.

Oh it was no "dud". While it was still on the morning sky (until a week ago), it was quite spectacular - it only needed a larger telescope. I watched in the morning of September 5 and we saw the double tail that existed at that time. From photos, it was probably best around September 8/9 and then it went downhill quickly as it neared the Sun on the sky.
Sorry, I'm picky about my comets! If I have to get up for dawn patrol, it better be good....really good :LOL:

The most spectacular comet I have seen during a rather long life was Ikeya-Seki, during the 60s.

It looked like a searchlight beam in the sky just before sunrise.

Probably the most disappointing was Halley’s, between a poor appearance and hazy and humid weather in New England.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back