• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common small grey bird Thailand ID? (2 Viewers)

Bertus

Netherlands
08:08 am 04-12-23 location Tat Ton NP Chayaphum province, Thailand flycatcher or minivet or...?
DSC05352.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05350.JPG
    DSC05350.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 32
Awesome, very good indeed...another species identified... but how about this one, same spot, same time....? Actually I thought these were all the same bird, but no ... this one has a lot of grey, white eyering, I think I've seen it more often, also in Khon Kaen province... and are both pics showing the same bird, difficult to see, unless you know....?DSC05325.JPG DSC05294.JPG

Awesome, very good indeed...another species identified... but how about this one, same spot, same time....? Actually I thought these were all the same bird, but no ... this one has a lot of grey, white eyering, I think I've seen it more often, also in Khon Kaen province... and are both pics showing the same bird, difficult to see, unless you know....?

These are flycatchers. The first is a bit tricky with the lighting, but looks like Asian Brown Flycatcher (broad bill with pink base).

The second looks more like one of the smaller Ficedula I think. I'm not so familiar with these and it's a difficult angle. Maybe female Ultramarine or Little Pied Flycatcher? Hopefully Grahame will see this and add some insight.

These are flycatchers. The first is a bit tricky with the lighting, but looks like Asian Brown Flycatcher (broad bill with pink base).

The second looks more like one of the smaller Ficedula I think. I'm not so familiar with these and it's a difficult angle. Maybe female Ultramarine or Little Pied Flycatcher? Hopefully Grahame will see this and add some insight.
Wow, you are quite good, tnx... Yes, so many of them Flycatchers and not necessarily the most beautiful of all... Are you In Thailand too? I tried the platform in Chumphon, but I was too late (November) and went to Kaeng Krachan thereafter, and then the Petchburi ricefields, Sam Roi Yot NP, Erawan NP, Sai Yok NP, Mae Wong NP, Tat Mok NP, Sai Thong NP and Tat Ton NP on the way back to Isan. This morning I found Little Grebe with young, several adult non-breeding Pheasant-tailed Jacana's and a flock of Lesser Whistling-ducks in a pond (small lake) overgrown with Doc Bua just outside the village. Also Hoopoo's near. Surprising many species in this dusty, hot and deforested landscape if you really look for them....

Assuming then the last two are not the same species, I add one more pic of the more brown one, same spot, almost the same time... probably the same individual, to get a better view, and it looks it has black wingtips, DSC05318.JPG

Agree the second bird is a Ficedula, the most likely option being fem Little Pied which, is actually pretty scarce in Khon Kaen, Nov-Dec is the best time. Ultramarine is a very scarce bird in Thailand, the majority of records from the NW and W, no records as far as I aware from KK.

Agree Asian Brown for the 1st bird.

Grahame

Regards, I take an Asian Brown Flycatcher and a Little Pied Flycatcher. The location was Ton NP Chayaphum province, so a bit to the west, but Robson's map does not show the Little Pied in that region, neither does eBird. It looks very much the same however on the eBird pics... Tnx again, great....

Wow, you are quite good, tnx... Yes, so many of them Flycatchers and not necessarily the most beautiful of all... Are you In Thailand too? I tried the platform in Chumphon, but I was too late (November) and went to Kaeng Krachan thereafter, and then the Petchburi ricefields, Sam Roi Yot NP, Erawan NP, Sai Yok NP, Mae Wong NP, Tat Mok NP, Sai Thong NP and Tat Ton NP on the way back to Isan. This morning I found Little Grebe with young, several adult non-breeding Pheasant-tailed Jacana's and a flock of Lesser Whistling-ducks in a pond (small lake) overgrown with Doc Bua just outside the village. Also Hoopoo's near. Surprising many species in this dusty, hot and deforested landscape if you really look for them....
Thanks.
I'm based in Hong Kong. There are some species that occur here as well as in Thailand, so I am familiar with these species (eg Asian Brown Flycatcher), but there are other Thai species that don't occur here so I don't know very well (eg Little Pied Flycatcher).
I have visited Thailand a couple of times (including a month birding in the north) but don't know the country well.

I have been in HK once. We do export of clothing to Europe and were looking for that in HK. I export clothes from Bkk since 2005. Concerning nature and birds...I heard that Taiwan is a good one and noticed that Singapore has quite some birders and birds too. Question: are you spotting and photographing too? Bertus

Hi, I took the liberty of asking, hope you do not mind, a friend of mine who is a member of the Thai Birds Record Committee about the Ficedula. Given the rarity i thought he might be interested:) He thought it could possibly be a first year male Ultramarine Flycatcher but he would like to see more photos. Do you happen to have any more, especially that would show its back or upper tail?
all the best
steve

Great, I've got two more pics, hope that is enough, regards...

Attachments

• DSC05291 copy.JPG
    DSC05291 copy.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC05292 copy.JPG
    DSC05292 copy.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 22
Again, to ask questions that are about an existing separate thread, it's most helpful (to everybody) to ask the question as a fresh post in that thread. To attract someone's attention to it, just tag them in the message 👍🏻

I had been thinking that was more an unusual plumage than a rare bird and hence was going to wait until I see my friend in person:) Which won't be for quite a while as i have now left Thailand again. The others who have answered on that posting and on this one (and many others:)) are much, much better at bird ID than I so I will not attempt to dispute their calls lol.
s

Again, to ask questions that are about an existing separate thread, it's most helpful (to everybody) to ask the question as a fresh post in that thread. To attract someone's attention to it, just tag them in the message 👍🏻
I understand, but sorry can't find how to tag Butty...

Hopefully one of the moderators will read your note and let you know how to do that, unfortunately I do not, other than to send a private message:(
steve

Ok, then I go back to that thread and try to get a question to Bhutjoe (if he has no objection) by tagging like this, but does Bhutjoe in this case get a message of that? tnx for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back