• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparison of various compacts (2 Viewers)

vkalia

Robin stroker
I know I promised this earlier, but my apologies - been ill, been busy and then been ill again. Ugh.

In any case, I put together all the compacts I owned, and decided to do a shootout.

Contestants:
- Vortex Fury 8x28
- Nikon LX-L 8x20
- Alpen Wings 10x25 ED
- Opticron Taiga 8x25
- Hawke Premier 8x25

My testing methodology: I pointed the bins at a tree set in the shade, and looked closely at the bark patterns as well as a knot in the trunk, and started comparing the view. I figured this would be a better approximation of field use than staring at resolution charts. As a benchmark, I used my trusty Zen-Ray 8x42 ED bino.

LOOKING THROUGH THE BINOS - THE VIEW
Both the Nikon and the Alpens had a view that could be best described as tunnelly. Both were a little finicky in placement - although not overwhelming so. Surprisingly, the Hawke Premier - which is a noticeably worse bino in virtually every other regard - actually had a better view than both the Nikon and the Alpens.

The Taigas were somewhat better with a very comfortable view, with less of the tunnel effect.

Not surprisingly, the Furys were significantly better than all the rest here. The view was almost as relaxed as the ZRs, although a little more narrow/tunnelly.

DETAIL & CLARITY
Compared to the Zen-Ray, the Nikon had just a little less detail in the shadows. While I could see the patterns in the bark and knot, it took me a little more time to make them out.

While the Alpens did not show any more detail than the Nikon, it was just a little bit easier to make out those details. 10x does make a difference, I reckon!

The Taigas were a very small step down from both the Nikon and the Alpens, and appeared to me to lose just a little, tiny bit of resolution in the details.

The Hawke Premiers were significantly worse and showed a lot less detail in the shadows than the other compacts.

The Fury 8x28s made shadow details a little easier to see - again, there werent MORE details to see, compared to the Nikon and the Alpens, but those details were definitely easier to see with the 8x28s.

The Z-Rs, of course, took this to another level: it was as if someone had turned the brightness up by a level. I was able to make out details in the shadows far more easily. If this were a rapidly-flitting bird, the Z-Rs would have an edge in ID, due to their ability to provide a view with easily-identifiable details.

BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST
I am quite used to the Zen-Ray view. This has been my birding bino for quite a few years now (ever since the ED came out originally, a bunch of years ago). A lot of people are familiar with its bright and contrasty view.

However, the contrast and "crispness" of the Nikon was clearly and noticeably better than that of all the other binos in the test, including the Z-R. Photographers will know what I mean: sometimes, you have to magnify an image to 100% to tell if it is critically sharp. And sometimes, the sharpness just jumps out at you. The Nikon had a view which can only be described as "punchy". Very nice!

The Alpen came close, but lacked that little punch/contrast of the Nikons.

The Opticron Taigas and the Vortex Furys were - to my eyes - very close in terms of contrast, and just a little bit behind that of the Alpens.

The Hawkes felt as though I was looking through a sheet of misty plastic, by comparison.

CA
I did a quick test - a branch overhanging a tree, with the sea behind it. I couldn't notice any bino except the Hawke Premier - where it was mild but not particularly excessive. Perhaps a more stringent test will reveal differences here - I can do so if people ask, but for my part, I am not too bothered about CA, so I didn't look too closely in this area.

SUMMARY

A few things emerged from this test for me:

- There is no substitute for a larger objective. Nice though the LX-Ls may be, a cheaper bino with a bigger objective would make it easier to identify details, especially with rapidly-moving birds

- I got the LX-Ls for $270, and for that price, I am ecstatic. But, as a corollary to the above, I don't see myself paying the big $$$ commanded by Z/L/S for their compacts, simply b/c of the limitations of the compact format.

- The test has been a little unfair to the Nikon b/c every other bino has had either a bigger objective or bigger mag. But it has held up very well and provided the most breath-taking view, thanks to its amazing contrast.

- I am equally impressed by how good the inexpensive Alpens are - you get performance that is very close to the Nikon, and which requires careful and repeated A/B testing to differentiate.

- The Taigas are just marginally behind the Nikon and Alpen, in terms of details and contrast, but make up for it by having a much nicer view - easy to look through and having less of the "tunnel syndrome" than the Alpens and the Nikons. I could actually see myself being very happy with the Taiga long term, simply due to its superior field of view.

- The Premier is an el-cheapo non-ED lens and it shows - to me, this bino is unsuitable for birding.

*edit/added*
- While I really like the quality of the Nikon and the Alpens, if space allowed, I'd rather carry the Fury 8x28s. They give up a bit in contrast/punch, but their improved ease of placement and the ease with which they show details are features which, to me, would be more useful when trying to ID a bird (my favorite birding is mountain birding, with lots of skulkers, offering short glimpses only).

Hope this review is useful.

Attachments

• DSCF0268.jpg
    DSCF0268.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Good information. Thank you.

I am wondering if you noticed the center sharp spot on the Fury was small with lots of blurry area towards the edges. When I compared a Fury to the Nikon LXL I found the Nikon to be sharp virtually edge to edge. In my case I returned the Fury after 1 hour of field comparison because ot the small central sharp area. Other than that I liked them. Perhaps newer models have improved. I viewed them about 18 months ago.

I also wondered if you have had time to compare the binoculars under low light conditions? This is not the size binocular I reach for when the lighting is poor. But when out camping etc it is sometimes the only binocular I have

I compared a Pentax 10X28 DCF MP to a Leica 10X25. In a low light situation. To my surprise the Leica coatings and glass provided a brighter image than the larger 28mm objective of the Pentax (reading CD titles in my living room with not so good lighting). Size does not always guarantee satisfying performance! I find the Pentax DCF LV 9X28 to be about as bright as the LXL.

As you have noted a compact is not a substitute for a full sized binocular and it would be challenging to try and jam a full sized binocular in our shirt pocket.

Last edited:
Vkalia, thank you! As you might remember from "dialogues" in another thread/s I've been awaiting this. To me at present this is extremely useful - in what it conveys directly, between, and beyond the lines!

One thing I'd have liked to know has been omitted: direct comparison of brightness alone (if this is relevant for you). Also, the Vortex has been left out of the "Summary".

The newer Vortex Viper 8x28 is said, by some, to be better in several ways than the Fury 8x28, now discontinued. (The Viper 8x and 10x28 don't yet have an HD version, though most Vortex models do.)

The very new Hawke Sapphire compacts are far better than the Premiers, as you'd see in the current Bf. thread on the Bird Fair. Thinking of getting an 8x25!

T., I'd reckon that in a direct comparison of a Leica Ultravid vs Nikon LXL(/HG) 10x25 or 8x20 they'd be nearly equal in brightness.

Last edited:
@Dennis - it is tough to say. If I could carry the extra space, I'd take the 8x28s. Between the Alpen and the Nikon, the 8x vs 10x adds an extra variable, but I do suspect the Nikon would be better than the comparable mag Alpen - however, would that difference be large enough to make it worth the premium? I am not so sure. I think the Alpens are actually better value than the Nikon, for sure. The Taigas are just a hair behind optically, but make up by being a more comfortable view. So ergonomics also play a role.

T - My normal viewing method is to move the bino around, not roam my eye around (while I do that occasionally when scanning, the moment I find a bird, I center my binos on it). So that is how I did my testing. I'll check for edge blurring and post an update in a day or so. I used them in the shade, but will also give them a spin in lower light @ dusk one of these days and post an update as well.

These are old Furys, btw - I have had them for 4-5 years or so.

@Pompadour - yeah, I read the good things about the Hawke Sapphires (and earlier, the Frontiers - those were what I was trying to buy but had a brain burp when shopping and bought the wrong ones!), but at 220 quid a pop, that is far more than I will spend on what I consider to be a somewhat limited binocular.

I'll also do a brightness test and report back - the low light testing should provide a good setting for this test.

Cheers,
Vandit

I know those Bushnells get a pretty good review here - but I haven't had a chance to try them, and even with my 2 domiciles, I have more than enough compact binos to last me a very long time now :)

One of these little pups is going to go to Africa with me and the Zeiss 8x32 next month, for a month of safari, cycling and birding.

I know those Bushnells get a pretty good review here - but I haven't had a chance to try them, and even with my 2 domiciles, I have more than enough compact binos to last me a very long time now :)

One of these little pups is going to go to Africa with me and the Zeiss 8x32 next month, for a month of safari, cycling and birding.
Have you tried the Leica Trinovid 8x20?

Vkalia, sorry, I was wrong of course when I said: "the Vortex has been left out of the 'Summary'". "Vortex Viper" was what on my mind, so when I saw just the word "Fury" missed it! Your comments there are very useful to keep in mind generally.

There's a very new Bushnell 10x25 roof (Legend Ultra HD) which may be as good as the Sapphires, and the lightest of all the very good "pockets", tying in weight with the Swaro - and (in the USA) US$ 160! Eagerly awaiting a review comparing its optical quality with those; for the moment there's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Evw-SxLRWU. (Thinking of replacing my present 10x25 - my main bin! - with that and for low light the Sapphire 8x25.)

Last edited:
From my experience I'd say if you are going to that price level, then go a bit higher and get the Ultravid 8x20. They are waterproof too. A fact that may come handy from experience in tropical climates.
I tried the 8x20 Ultravid and it just didn't work for my facial structure. Too many blackouts and it was uncomfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back