• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conference birding – Brisbane and the Gold Coast 18-21 April 2016 (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
Monday 18th April
A red-eye flight arriving in the early morning before a three-day conference in Gold Coast in Australia allowed the rare luxury of a near full-day’s birding before the event kicked off in the late afternoon. The upside of arriving at 0600 is that prime birding time was on offer. The downside was the fear of falling asleep at the wheel – a problem I solved by asking long-established local guide Barry Davies of Gondwana Guides to guide me for the day and drop me at the hotel in Surfer’s Paradise.

Even before meeting Barry a Black-winged Kite drifted over the terminal building as the aircraft taxied to the gate and a couple Magpie Larks flopped by with their rather laboured round-winged flight.

The first half of the day we spent on four small wetland sites around the Port of Brisbane. The first of these was an open site that contained a couple of stands of mangroves, some shallow open water and some meadows held a pair of White-breasted Wood Swallows, a briefly-seen Striped Honeyeater, Spangled Drongo (which should never have been lumped with Hair-crested Drongo!), Masked Lapwing, a few Grey Teals, a Black-winged Stilt and the terrific spectacle of a pair of Galahs flashing pink and grey in the early sunshine as they harassed an Australian Hobby that kept trying to land in stand of dead trees. Noisy and Little Friarbirds were migrating overhead in small groups, Welcome Swallows zipped around and the first of several Crested Pigeons, Pied Butcherbirds, Rainbow Lorikeets, Australian Magpies and Torresian Crows made an appearance. Other waterbirds included Great, Intermediate and Cattle Egrets, Australian White Ibis, and a distant Australian Purple Swamphen, the latter very different from the grey-headed birds that occur in southeast China.

Our second site – a deeper lily-covered pool surrounded by melaleuca trees – was the highlight of the day for me. Immediately on arrival a Collared Kingfisher was perched very close to the road, but the glory of the site was the waterbirds, starting with a dead tree that had keeled over held a couple of Australasian Darters, three Royal Spoonbills, Australian White Ibis, Pied, Little Pied and Little Black Cormorants. One tree!

Wandering Whistling Ducks, Australian Coot and Dusky Moorhens lurked among the lilies and my first Comb-crested Jacanas strolled across the surface – including four ginger-capped youngsters. If that were not enough a couple of Australian Reed Warblers lurked in the nearest reeds, my first ever Pacific Baza flapped slowly over and the first of some 200 Magpie Geese dropped onto the lake in groups of 20 or 30. Walking a little further in we stared to pick up a fine range of passerines which started with dowdy but noisy Brown Honeyeaters, half a dozen Crimson Honeyeaters, including some spectacular males, a well-seen Striated Pardalote, Mistletoebirds, two Plum-headed Finches that perched very briefly before zipping off at high speed. A Black-faced Cuckooshrike – much bigger and more striking than the Black-winged Cuckooshrikes I’m used to from Hong Kong – perched nicely shortly after a wonderfully deep blue Forest Kingfisher stayed exactly not long enough for a photo.

We also made more inroads into the honeyeaters, picking up Lewin’s and White-throated Honeyeaters, and a demure grey and brown female Rose Robin picking its way among the branches along a ditch. A power line runs through the reserve on pylons. Beneath this is a strip with waist-high grass on either side of a central path. This was excellent for grassland birds, including a few Superb and Red-backed Fairy Wrens, all sadly in non-breeding plumage, Chestnut-breasted Manakins and a Rufous Grassbird that shot across the path, barely showing more than enough to get the vaguest impression of size and colour. It popped up for Barry and minute or so later and he was able to confirm my first impression. I also had a couple of finches with white rumps flying away out of the grass but got nothing more on them. Looking down the power lines we had a couple of White-breasted Wood Swallows, and half-a-dozen Blue-faced Honey-eaters, that were much larger than the others with an attractive pied head and big blue facial patch. Barry also pointed out a big nest of sticks on a telegraph pole just as an Osprey arrived back at the nest, and a small patch of bare mud held a pair of Black-fronted Dotterels.

Attachments

• IMG_6991 Australian Purple Swamphen @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_6991 Australian Purple Swamphen @ Brisbane.JPG
    802.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6987 Royal Spoonbill @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_6987 Royal Spoonbill @ Brisbane.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6998 Comb-crested Jacana @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_6998 Comb-crested Jacana @ Brisbane.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6995 Wandering Whistling Duck @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_6995 Wandering Whistling Duck @ Brisbane.JPG
    621.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7021 Australasian Darter @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7021 Australasian Darter @ Brisbane.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Cheers Phil - actually all that happened between 0715 and about 10am!!

Here's a few more pix that scratch the surface of what a cracking site the lily pond is.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7025 Black-faced Cuckooshrike @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7025 Black-faced Cuckooshrike @ Brisbane.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7004 Dollarbird @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7004 Dollarbird @ Brisbane.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7014 Magpie Geese 2 @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7014 Magpie Geese 2 @ Brisbane.JPG
    879.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7007 Black-fronted Dotterel @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7007 Black-fronted Dotterel @ Brisbane.JPG
    932 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7030 Little Pied Cormorant @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7030 Little Pied Cormorant @ Brisbane.JPG
    821.2 KB · Views: 60
A visit to the mangrove boardwalk started well with ten or so Straw-necked and Australian White Ibises patrolling the edge of the adjoining cricket pitches, Australian Figbird, Olive-backed Oriole, and Black-faced Cuckooshrike in the carpark trees and then a cracking pair of Nankeen Night Herons that Barry had staked out in a particular tree. We were temporarily distracted by an unusually streaky Grey Shrike Thrush bustling about in the leaf litter and, a bit further on, by the first Pale-headed Rosellas of the trip. These are long-tailed slender parrots with a beautiful powder blue wings and tail, red undertail and a head the colour of Cornish clotted cream.

There were relatively fewer birds from the boardwalk itself, but these included a wonderfully confiding Torresian Kingfisher (recently split from Collared from which it is separated by the darker upperparts and almost black head) that perched up close and called to its mate a few times, and a Mangrove Gerygone feeding unconcernedly among the lowest mangrove shoots. A nearby patch of open water held fifty or so Black-winged Stilts, a few Greenshanks and Whimbrels, while a Bright-capped Cisticola popped out of the nearby grassland and a third or fourth year White-bellied Sea Eagle drifted majestically over. The tide had dropped as we drove out and we added Sharp-tailed and Curlew Sandpipers, Eastern Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwit and Pied Oystercatchers among the more numerous Grey-tailed Tattlers. Looking over the same area from inside the boardwalk we had earlier seen hunting Gull-billed Terns and the larger, carrot-billed Caspian Terns.

The final two stops were right next to the port of Brisbane – the aptly-named Swan Lake hosting a fine range of waterfowl that included Wood Duck, Hardhead, Grey Teal, Australasian Grebe, Black Swan, and Chestnut Teal. Three Whistling Kites drifted over from the port and the first couple of Brahminy Kites of the day also appeared. With birds appearing from everywhere both Mangrove and Striped Honeyeaters and more Mistletoe Birds showed well in a couple of trees right by the carpark. The fenced-in wader roost held mostly cormorants, and a few Australian Pelicans but the trees along the fringe held five superb Rainbow Bee-eaters huddled in cosy groups, and well within reach of my lens.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7039 Straw-necked Ibis @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7039 Straw-necked Ibis @ Brisbane.JPG
    851.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7042 Australian Ibis @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7042 Australian Ibis @ Brisbane.JPG
    894.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7058 Nankeen Night Heron @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7058 Nankeen Night Heron @ Brisbane.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7082 Torresian Kingfisher @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7082 Torresian Kingfisher @ Brisbane.JPG
    646 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7103 Rainbow Bee-eater @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7103 Rainbow Bee-eater @ Brisbane.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Nice haul Mike, particularly envious of Plum-headed Finch, which I never did manage to catch up with. Check out the IOC splits of Collared Kingfisher too if you haven't already, those in QLD being Torresian :t:

Many thanks Larry - updated!

A few more pix from the morning session . . .

Attachments

• IMG_7092 Striped Honeyeater @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7092 Striped Honeyeater @ Brisbane.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7087 Pale-headed Rosella @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7087 Pale-headed Rosella @ Brisbane.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7048 Spangled Drongo @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7048 Spangled Drongo @ Brisbane.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7045 Masked Lapwing @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7045 Masked Lapwing @ Brisbane.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7084 lizard sp. @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7084 lizard sp. @ Brisbane.JPG
    785.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
After this terrific morning we next headed inland, passing by a series of lakes in the dry rolling hills to the south of Brisbane. The first one held more duck including eight or ten Australian Shovelers and best of all two Pink-eared Ducks which were initially huddled against the side of the dam below us but then swam out across the lake into full view. Finely patterned with chocolate and caramel stripes and with a distinctive dark mask through the eye behind a spatulate grey bill they were one of the odder, but nonetheless beautiful ducks I’ve seen, and in a field with tough competition they were probably my top birds of the day. Other birds on the lake included a couple of White-faced Herons and my first Pied Heron far over on the other arm of the lake and a small group of Grey Kangaroos.

The next lake was a smaller lily-covered pond on which we found several wonderful Plumed Whistling Ducks with beautifully elongated coffee-coloured wing coverts. There were also more Comb-crested Jacanas, and in the trees behind a mixed flock of Long-billed and Little Corellas. Just a few yards up the road a picnic spot set amongst large trees hosted good-sized gathering of Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets amongst which we picked out a couple of the much smaller Little Lorikeet as they zipped back and forth. A Black-winged Kite on a distant snag preceded stop in more open country where we found another of the stars of the day, a male Restless Flycatcher that absolutely excelled at slow flap flight just above the tree-tops and tussocks where it perched, along with a mixed flock of small birds that were mostly comprised of Yellow-rumped Gerygone and the striking Double Barred Finch. Just over the hill the last lake we visited was hosting a juvenile Black-necked Stork, making a fitting finale in the hills before driving down to the Gold Coast.

We made just one stop at Coombabah Lake in a final attempt to find Red-necked Avocet. That one will have to wait for another day, but the walk back from the viewpoint allowed me to grab a couple of swift shots of a young Grey Kangaroo. On the way into Surfer’s Paradise Barry pointed out an offshore island that held Beach Stone Curlew and gave me directions for where to find Bush Thick–knee the next day before dropping me in perfect time for the event that kicked off the conference. All told we saw a terrific total of 116 species in a thoroughly enjoyable day, and I would whole-heartedly recommend Barry to anyone looking for a guide around Brisbane.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7125 Plumed Whistling Duck @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7125 Plumed Whistling Duck @ Brisbane.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7112 Black-necked Stork @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7112 Black-necked Stork @ Brisbane.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7128 Scaly-breasted Lorikeet @ Brisbane.jpg
    IMG_7128 Scaly-breasted Lorikeet @ Brisbane.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7110 Figbird @ Brisbane.JPG
    IMG_7110 Figbird @ Brisbane.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7130 Grey Kangaroo @ Gold Coast.jpg
    IMG_7130 Grey Kangaroo @ Gold Coast.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 51
Tuesday 19th April
Plugging Seaworld into Google Maps revealed that a bus ran from just outside the hotel all the way to Seaworld starting at 0555. This was ideal because exactly opposite the bus stop was the Federation Park car park, where I immediately found three splendid Bush Stone Curlews standing calmly in one of the borders. Common though they are I’d never previously connected in four previous trips to Australia, so it was a great pleasure to enjoy them at point blank range. Looking across the road I realized that had I looked back down the road I would have seen three more without ever having left the bus stop! Seaworld and Federation Park are on a Spit that runs north to enclose large estuary. A wonderful pair of Australian Pelicans looked stunning in the aryl morning light, and looking back towards to sunlight an Australian Ibis on a lamppost made for a nicely iconic image.

The carpark was full of birds – bands of Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets rushed madly about and fed on the blooming trees, a juvenile Pheasant Coucal sunned itself next to the exercise equipment. A couple of Little Wattlebirds that looked like they were heading north landed in the top of a tree, and a walk down to the sea produced a grey-headed red-throated flycatcher that Barry subsequently confirmed from my description as a female Leaden Flycatcher. There were lots of Brown Honeyeaters feeding on the flowering trees, as well as Noisy Miners and Noisy Friarbirds.

Attachments

• IMG_7133 Dawn @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7133 Dawn @ Gold Coast.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7135 Bush Sone Curlew @ Gold Coast.jpg
    IMG_7135 Bush Sone Curlew @ Gold Coast.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7138 Australian Ibis @ Gold Coast.jpg
    IMG_7138 Australian Ibis @ Gold Coast.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7140 Australian Pelican @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7140 Australian Pelican @ Gold Coast.JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7143 Rainbow Lorikeet @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7143 Rainbow Lorikeet @ Gold Coast.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Many thanks Jon and Allen and, belatedly, Jeff.

Other birds seen on The Spit included numerous Willy Wagtails, Rufous Whistlers, Superb Fairy Wrens, a few Silvereyes and a couple of smart Double-banded Finches which came in close for a look to my pishing at various times. Every so often a Crested Tern would fly over towards the river and from the top I had views of the inner channel and a couple of sandbars in the river where a number of birds we roosting. These included some 100 Crested Terns, plus a few Bar-tailed Godwits, Australian Pelicans, Pied Oystercatchers, Silver Gulls and best of all a single Beach Thick Knee hunched down but still visible several hundred metres away. This was my first since seeing them twice in Indonesia in 1989 (Ujung Kulon and Bali Barat) more than a quarter of a century ago!

Other good birds on my way back included a Tawny Grassbird that showed much better than the bird the previous day, but like the Rainbow Bee-eater a few minutes later it did a bunk just as I was shooting. I also got half-decent shots of Bar-shouldered Dove and Crested Pigeons. Adding in the expected common birds such as Australian Magpie, Torresian Crow, Welcome Swallow, Tree Martin, Pied Currawong, a very confiding Yellow-rumped Thornbill and Magpie Lark I ran up a respectable total of 45 species before heading back to the conference.

I was tied up all day on 20th, but on my last morning I took an early bus up to Brisbane Airport where my counterpart there had kindly arranged for me to join their bird control officer for the morning survey. New for the trip were three Nankeen Kestrels, while Australasian Pipit and Fairy Martin were lifers. Other bits and pieces included White-bellied Woodswallow on the fence and a Striated Heron fishing in a net-covered channel designed to deter cormorants.

All told this was certainly my most productive conference birding trip in terms of number of species seen. I finished with a splendid total of 126 species, 116 of which I saw with Barry on the first day. The standout dip was Kookaburra, but I've seen them on a few times on previous visits to Australia, so this was no great hardship. As usual I'd be happy to share more details with anyone who might be interested.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7147 Pied Butcherbird @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7147 Pied Butcherbird @ Gold Coast.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7148 Pheasant Coucal @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7148 Pheasant Coucal @ Gold Coast.JPG
    774.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7159 Bar-shouldered Dove @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7159 Bar-shouldered Dove @ Gold Coast.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7170 Superb Fairy Wren @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7170 Superb Fairy Wren @ Gold Coast.JPG
    732.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7196 Yellow-rumped Thornbill @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7196 Yellow-rumped Thornbill @ Gold Coast.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 49
Many thanks for the five star rating!

Here's a few more pix from the trip . . .

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7203 Superb Fairy Wren @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7203 Superb Fairy Wren @ Gold Coast.JPG
    630.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7132 Bush Stone Curlew @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7132 Bush Stone Curlew @ Gold Coast.JPG
    790 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7181 australian Pied Oystercatcher @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7181 australian Pied Oystercatcher @ Gold Coast.JPG
    846.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7176 Crested Pigeon @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7176 Crested Pigeon @ Gold Coast.JPG
    863.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7184 Multi-species assembly @ Gold Coast.JPG
    IMG_7184 Multi-species assembly @ Gold Coast.JPG
    916.9 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back