• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm Sparrowhawk gender please - London UK (3 Viewers)

Hi Chris.

This is unrelated to the topic in question. But wonder if anybody knows the answer.

It couldn't have possibly eaten the whole pigeon in one go. What did it do once it had its feed? Did it take the remainder back to its nest? If so, do sparrowhawks have a nest the whole year around? If not where do they roost at night?
Thanks.

Well it (I'll stick with "it" from now on |=)|) was in the garden for almost 3 hours. The initial kill was quick for prey this size, only took a couple of minutes. (Apart from the odd lucky bird, all prey above Sparrow size gets eaten alive) So it was feeding within 10 minutes (plucking eating, they don't pluck the prey then eat) rather than struggling with the prey while trying to eat.

Apart from a few rests for digestion, and a couple of minutes watching a Squirrel get too close, the whole time was spent eating. However, the last 30 minutes was spent resting on the fence.

There wasn't much left of the Pigeon, but enough for a snack I guess. Another Sparrowhawk (a larger "it" |=)|) tried to fly into the garden to finish off the Pigeon, but was spooked a few times by neighbours. The original Sparrowhawk returned at first light to finish off it's meal, but I heard a Cat drag off the remains in the night. The Sparrowhawk knew where it left it's meal, and I watched it cautiously approach the spot. When it realised it's meal was gone, it spent a while on the fence trying to catch Mice. It swooped down 3 times, but missed each time.

I often see Sparrowhawks return to the garden to finish off their meal, but more often it's during the evening. They do sometimes carry off a half eaten corpse, and I think they can stash food (in a tree?) to eat later.

Rushed that a bit, and give you more info than you requested.|=)| Anyway, have to go until tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back