• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation Required - Richard's Pipit, Isle of Wight, UK (1 Viewer)

traceyj

England
Saw this bird yesterday (14/4/22) at 2.00pm at Culver Down, Isle of Wight, UK. About the size of a Starling, Panting (so no song), and sitting just by cliff edge, so could not obtain a front shot. Circulated to the birders on the Island and feedback received to date is a Richard's Pipit ID. Please can you let me know if you are also in agreement.

Tricky photo to judge, but any comments would be welcome.
Bird1-gigapixel-standard-scale-2_00x-cropped.jpg

I’ve looked at this a few times now and I’m struggling to rule out meadow pipit.
Hi Mark - you are not the first to say Meadow Pipit!

The bird was the size of a Starling though, plus the beak looks longer than a Meadow Pipit, plus the frame was quite bulky. That said - the split seems to be three quarters, Richard's and one quarter Meadow - so still a little tricky. The details have now been sent off to the Local Rarity Committee - so it will be interesting to see what they come back with.

All in all, yes - it's a potential tick / first find for me if it is a Richard's - but the debate is still ongoing. However it ends up, it was a lovely walk and a nice bird to see, along with a good debate on various opinions. I never realised birds could be so complicated, but I am learning fast!

Thanks so much for posting your opinion - I will update as soon as I have the official verification.

I think Richard’s Pipit is a bold call on just this photo. Meadow must surely be the safer option. An average April will see c.3 Richard’s Pipits in the U.K. they are pretty scarce.

Yes - I agree - but I have seen many Meadow Pipits (Culver is covered in them) and this bird looked quite different. Sadly, I did not have a direct comparison with Meadow and the mystery bird side by side - that would have been good!. All I can say is that this one looked much bigger. In addition, the beak appears to be far larger than a Meadow, plus the pose of the bird different - but maybe that was because it was frightened (as in panting all the time).

To be honest - I can only explain what I saw, plus at least I have some form of photographic evidence. It's a shame I could not get the legs and the front of the bird as I am sure that would have helped.

I think Richard’s Pipit is a bold call on just this photo. Meadow must surely be the safer option. An average April will see c.3 Richard’s Pipits in the U.K. they are pretty scarce.
Agree - I know that they are very scarce this time of year - usually Autumn is a better time for them. But in saying that - it does not mean it's impossible for them to be seen on UK shores. I am sure the Rarity Committee will take all of this into account when viewing all the details. I agree the safe option would be to disregard a strange looking bird that could look like a large Meadow Pipit with an ultra long beak, but it could just be something special that has been blown off-course - who knows. Currently I have an open mind, as I am really not experienced enough to make a fully informed decision. Let's see.

I’m not saying it doesn’t look good for Richard’s Pipit, (it does) but I wonder if a rarities committee would accept it on one photo from one angle, without a call or further description.

There’s a few things that don’t look right for Richard’s pipit to me. The face pattern doesn’t look great, I’d hope to see a stronger supercilium on Richard’s, and much darker streaks on the crown.

It may just be the pic but I’m seeing whitish edges to the coverts - shouldn’t these be warmer buff in Richard’s?

The bill will be hard to judge as it’s open but it doesn’t feel long, and in particular, heavy to me.

I’m not saying it doesn’t look good for Richard’s Pipit, (it does) but I wonder if a rarities committee would accept it on one photo from one angle, without a call or further description.
After the picture and brief was circulated to the IoW Birding Group and it was agreed that this could potentially be a Richard's Pipit, I was then invited to fill in the Rarity documentation in order to confirm the exact species. The process is very rigorous. I needed to supply a number of shots I had taken of the bird, a full documented report on finding the bird, location, time, and description. If I had a sound recording of the birds call that would also need to be supplied (I did not have this as the bird did not call). This is then forwarded to the Rarity Committee to review. There are a number of people on this Committee - all highly experienced birders who will review all the evidence and then make their decision. All reviewers need to agree on the species for the bird to be accepted. If this cannot be done, it will be rejected. So it's quite a detailed and water tight process.

Only when it has been full accepted by the Rarity Committee can we document it as a Richard's Pipit. Until that time - it's in the balance.

There’s a few things that don’t look right for Richard’s pipit to me. The face pattern doesn’t look great, I’d hope to see a stronger supercilium on Richard’s, and much darker streaks on the crown.

It may just be the pic but I’m seeing whitish edges to the coverts - shouldn’t these be warmer buff in Richard’s?

The bill will be hard to judge as it’s open but it doesn’t feel long, and in particular, heavy to me.
To be honest Mark - I have never seen a Richard's Pipit in my life so I would not be able to comment on what you have said. All that I can tell you is that a number of highly experienced birders at this end who have seen Richard's Pipit before consider it to be one. As stated before, reaction is still mixed - hence going through to Rarity Committee to get it fully verified.

I basically saw the bird, considered it looked quite a bit different from the Meadow Pipits / Tree Pipits I had seen due to size, beak, etc and consequently circulated the photograph and brief description to get feedback from individuals far more experienced than myself.

The bill on a Richard's Pipit is quite thrush-like with a strong upper mandible decurved at the tip: only the culmen is dark, the sides of the upper mandible are pale. The supercilium isn't strong enough, on Richard's it is massive, broadest at the rear and creamy. This is not a Richard's Pipit.

As to what it is I think we have to immediately discount the size estimate. The bill looks narrow and likely to be on a small pipit. Like others, I'm inclined towards Meadow.

John

Someone with good* photoshop skills could perhaps 'close' the bill, which could be informative ... (with OPs permission perhaps of course).

*(Or very good??)

(I'd want it to be a Rock Pipit, just to be different lol)

The bill on a Richard's Pipit is quite thrush-like with a strong upper mandible decurved at the tip: only the culmen is dark, the sides of the upper mandible are pale. The supercilium isn't strong enough, on Richard's it is massive, broadest at the rear and creamy. This is not a Richard's Pipit.

As to what it is I think we have to immediately discount the size estimate. The bill looks narrow and likely to be on a small pipit. Like others, I'm inclined towards Meadow.

John
Thank you John for your very detailed description, I do appreciate it. It's just a bit of a shame that the bird did not move around a bit more in order for me to get a shot of the front. That could have been the clincher!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back