• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Red Kites (1 Viewer)

brian fielding

I have noticed reports of large movements of Red Kites in Cornwall around this time of year over the past few years, what's the reason behind this? Do British Red Kites winter on the continent

I don’t know why there are so many in Cornwall at this time of year, but the red kites which are prolific in our area are here all year long.

I have noticed reports of large movements of Red Kites in Cornwall around this time of year over the past few years, what's the reason behind this? Do British Red Kites winter on the continent
They are non-breeding/immature birds from the British (reintroduced) population. They seem to do a big loop to the south west, getting stuck a bit on the peninsula before heading back upcountry. Smaller numbers occur elsewhere at the same time along the south coast, but not so extreme.

There is no evidence for any particular exodus to the continent at all.

Its often in May when we've had dispersing/migrating Red Kites in non-breeding areas in N Wales, too. Sometimes in groups, and often gliding over at great height and subsequently being picked up much further along the coast. :)

There was a big gathering of dozens of them near Land's End last year, and yet I think only one made it over to Scilly. A big influx of Red Kites on Scilly would be a sight to behold!

I see the big movement on the scillys is happening today
Well over 100 birds turned up here today. I've gone from seeing no Red Kites at all on Scilly (just one bird visited briefly last year) to seeing dozens.

It's kind of weird that as soon as I wished for it, it happened! I hope a few stick around. Lovely birds.

Someone told me today these are record numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back