• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvoidea (1 Viewer)

How many species was included in genus Barita Cuvier (1816/1817). He said that his Barita was the same as the Cracticus of Vieillot (1816).

Vieillot 1816a (20 Apr) included no nominal species in his Cracticus (he only cited two vernaculars “Cassican” and “Calybé”). The first subsequent inclusion of nominal species was in Vieillot 1816b : Cracticus varius, C. chalybeus, C. tibicen, C. cyanoleucus, C. ater (syn. tropicus), C. melanoleucus, C. cuneicaudatus, C. streperus.

Cuvier 1816 (2 Dec) included in Barita : Paradisaea viridis, Coracias varia, Coracias tibicen, Corvus graculinus (syn. Coracias strepera), ["et une nouvelle espèce, à queue étagée"].

Vieillot 1816a (20 Apr) included no nominal species in his Cracticus (he only cited two vernaculars “Cassican” and “Calybé”). The first subsequent inclusion of nominal species was in Vieillot 1816b : Cracticus varius, C. chalybeus, C. tibicen, C. cyanoleucus, C. ater (syn. tropicus), C. melanoleucus, C. cuneicaudatus, C. streperus.

Cuvier 1816 (2 Dec) included in Barita : Paradisaea viridis, Coracias varia, Coracias tibicen, Corvus graculinus (syn. Coracias strepera), ["et une nouvelle espèce, à queue étagée"].
What species do they correspond to today (even if I recognize some) and is it its type species?

What species do they correspond to today (even if I recognize some) and is it its type species?

On a quick check, as I understand it :
  • Vieillot's Cracticus varius is the same as Cuvier's Coracias varia, and is the current Cracticus cassicus
  • Vieillot's C. chalybeus is the same as Cuvier's Paradisaea viridis, and is the current Manucodia chalybata
  • Vieillot's C. tibicen is the same as Cuvier's Coracias tibicen, and is the current Gymnorhina tibicen
  • Vieillot's C. cyanoleucus, is the current Grallina cyanoleuca
  • Vieillot's C. ater (syn. tropicus), does not seem clearly identified
  • Vieillot's C. melanoleucus is the same as the current Strepera graculina
  • Vieillot's C. cuneicaudatus (Cuvier's "nouvelle espèce, à queue étagée" ?), is the same as the current Strepera versicolor
  • Vieillot's C. streperus is the same as Cuvier's Corvus graculinus (syn. Coracias strepera), and is the current Strepera graculina
The earliest type designations that I have seen are:
In both cases, the type is Coracias varia Gmelin 1788 (a synonym of Ramphastos cassicus Boddaert 1783 ).

Last edited:
The last two differ little.
The 3rd ed was posthumous. I can trace no novelties listed as having been introduced in it, so it may indeed have been (near-)identical to the second ed.
Several new genus-group names were introduced in the second ed -- among which I think only one (Tragopan Cuvier 1829) is in use.

The 3rd ed was posthumous. I can trace no novelties listed as having been introduced in it, so it may indeed have been (near-)identical to the second ed.
Several new genus-group names were introduced in the second ed -- among which I think only one (Tragopan Cuvier 1829) is in use.
I downloaded an edition with engraved plates but I cannot find the year of publication. The presentation of genera is also different from previous versions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back