• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica - Boca Tapada - February 11 - a bird-of-prey long tailed tyrant equivalent? (1 Viewer)

Preselos

Netherlands
Hi!

I found this bird in Boca Tapada (Costa Rica) on February 11 and from the tail it looks like a long tailed tyrant. However, the head and especially the beak look really different.
Judging from the tree whose diameter had 20-30 cm diameter or so, the bird is relatively small.

Does someone have a clue what it could be (or is it simply a glimpse in the eye?)?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment DSC09682.JPG

I can't tell where the beak is in this photo. It looks a lot like a fork-tailed flycatcher, or perhaps scissor-tailed. In the former case, I am perplexed as to where the black cap can be found. In the latter, why is it so dark?

I can't tell where the beak is in this photo. It looks a lot like a fork-tailed flycatcher, or perhaps scissor-tailed. In the former case, I am perplexed as to where the black cap can be found. In the latter, why is it so dark?
It's my impression that the beak is on the left side of the bird, with a dark eye very close to it.

1646681433575.png

I'm convinced those are not the beak nor the eye. The "eye" is obviously a very odd shape, and if you look closely at the "beak", you'll see it continues downward (just left of straight down) into a syringe shape that can't possibly be this bird's beak. And there's a faint, broad, horizontal dark blur that crosses the "beak" - that's got to be a twig in the foreground, and I think the "beak" and "eye" are leaves on that twig (or a single leaf with a twist to it so it's vanishingly narrow between the "beak" and the "eye").

Looking some more, I see a pale streak down the center of the back. That's good for the two flycatchers I've been considering -both have much paler backs than wings - but I'm still confused about the dark neck. I hope I'm not overlooking some other long-tailed bird...

This bird is a Long-tailed Tyrant, look at how the tail feathers only get broad the further down you go and the all black front.

For Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, the bird should have a white front, gray back and all dark cap, plus the tail feathers would be of equal size the whole way through like in this photo.

The photo you have is the bird looking away from the camera and likely wind moving the head feathers to show the black beneath.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back