• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cotingas & Manakins (2 Viewers)

Buffon's Piauhau is Querula purpurata, not a Lipaugus. Why is this name given to Lipaugus rather than its original species, if indeed Querula is its original species? What is the origin of the name Piauhau? according to Buffon, this would come from his cry. Why do those who draw up the lists (especially in French) in common language do they do anything?
The "Piauhau hurleur" (Screaming Piha, in French Guyana: Paypayo) sounds more like "piauhau" than the Purple-breasted Cotinga (which sounds more like a chicken to me). So I assume there was a bit of a misunderstanding.

This seems quite plausible.
Current use in French for Lipaugus/Snowornis may come from a mix-up with English "Piha" -- undoubtedly also onomatopoetic, and superficially similar (although the actual calls are certainly not).
Piauhau and Piha would perhaps be two different names that current French nomenclators have confused without taking into account their original description (this is also why the CINFO contained several errors that I had to correct 🙄🙄)

So I assume there was a bit of a misunderstanding.

Try listening the recording I linked above.
I'd say "Piaw... Piawhaw!" is a quite OK rendering for the fruitcrow. (And, no, this particular vocalization really doesn't sound chicken-like to me.)
I struggle to hear "Piauhau" (listen to this as pronounced in French on Google translate) in the call of a Screaming Piha.

The "Piauhau hurleur" (Screaming Piha, in French Guyana: Paypayo) sounds more like "piauhau" than the Purple-breasted Cotinga (which sounds more like a chicken to me). So I assume there was a bit of a misunderstanding.
Levaillant agreed with Buffon that "Piauhau" comes from the cry. And a listening to Xeno canto seems to go in this way

Try listening the recording I linked above.
I'd say "Piaw... Piawhaw!" is a quite OK rendering for the fruitcrow. (And, no, this particular vocalization really doesn't sound chicken-like.)
I struggle to hear "Piauhau" in the call of a Screaming Piha.
C'est possible. The three syllables (if you speak French as slowly as me) still are better than the English name for the Screaming Piha.
The Brazilian Cricrió is definitely best!

C'est possible. The three syllables (if you speak French as slowly as me) still are better than the English name for the Screaming Piha.
The Brazilian Cricrió is definitely best!
The Lipaugus vociferans is best known because we often hear it in animal documentaries without seeing it. I would transcribe his cry like : "Weee weee hooo" very loud

It also makes at least two other vocalisations before the big Weeee WeeeeHooooo. Something like "waaa Waaaa". I assume they're semi-involuntary sounds made during an intake of breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back