• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countability question (1 Viewer)

Barr Tender

World: 730 ABA: 603 Latest Lifer: Saw-whet Owl
United States
Hello-- I'm a Colorado birder who visited the San Diego area a few weeks ago. While birding Murray Lake park, I saw a Nutmeg Mannikin. This bird is mentioned as established in the L.A. area in the 5th edition of the NatGeo guide, but I didn't see it in the AOU North American checklist.

Is it generally considered countable as a wild bird, or does it still wallow in pet-shop escapee status?

Thanks,

Dave in Denver

Nutmeg Mannikin (Scaly-breasted Munia) is on the AOU Check-list, but only as an established introduction to Hawaii.

It's not on the ABA Checklist because the significant California population isn't recognised as established by the California Bird Records Committee (CBRC). However, individual state records committees seem to have different policies for the admission of introduced species to the state checklist. CBRC takes little interest in exotic species, but I suspect that the Florida Ornithological Society Records Committee (FOSRC) would have accepted the species in similar circumstances.

Yep...Mannikins are not on yet but are definitely on the list of likely future additions.

Hoping that the ABA ratifies Peach-faced Lovebird, which was just added to the AZ list

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back