• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crashing Crows (1 Viewer)

NOMISSION

I've two crows living in the field next to my house. Every morning they crow three times each and then fly and crash into my bedroom window, clawining and beaking at the glass to get in. They do this on average 3 times and then go and sit back in the tree where they started. Appart from my windows being in quite a mess, I'd be quite interested to find out why they insist on doing this: it must be a little painful and appears to be a completet waste of time. It couldn't be that they fancy me could it?

Hummingbirds hunting my car mirrors

When I lived in Costa Rica (actually fairly near to the Austrian raingforest at La Gamba), the Longtailed Hermits (2.5g hummingbirds) would always fly up to the car, hover in front of the rear-view mirror and peck at it. every day. bizarre.

People often give lovebirds and other cage birds a little mirror which they spend hours "fighting"

Crows are incredibly intelligent, but my take on your story is that the crows were just defending their territory against a (probably paler) counterpart. The window being lighter on the inside than the outside would have reflected the crow's image back to them.

I have seen this happen with lots of bird species attacking anything from mirrors, shiny car hub-caps, the windows of a bus, and my house windows. Basically anything shiny that could reflect back the image of a bird.

Servus
Dale

My alpine birds blog

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back