• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crimewatch Live BBC 1 10am - 10:45am 9th March 2023 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Crimewatch live on BBC 1 - 9th March 2023 - 10 am - 10:45 am​

I watched Crimewatch live this morning on BBC 1 from 10am - 10:45am

I would think 8 minutes before the end of the program (of 45 mins) an article appeared about the 5 Goshawks that which where found dead in the Wordwell, Bury St Edmunds, and Thetford areas of the UK. I wish the article was longer but there you go.

There is now a 16,000 pound award for anyone who can help with Police enquires and led to a conviction
So at least this incident has has been taken seriously by the Police and placed on a Crimewatch Live as it should be (about time too)

Regards
Kathy and Dave

Please place your thoughts on this matter.

I am in the mind set of money rules and it may be not a good thing

Some more information

Link to the RSPB website

Link the former wildlife crimes committed crimes and people being let off off for doing their dirty deeds (makes you think)

Link about the Goshawks in general

Hi Kathy, it's not easy to find but there were two threads on this subject earlier this year.
But we all know who do these kind of things...
There's very little you can do as a birder but keep your eyes open when you are in an area where raptors occur.

Hi there

Thank you for drawing my attention to the repeated threads in the BirdForum.

I have not been on the BirdForum a lot as you will know for a while now

Yes, I agree we do know the kind of Criminals who do these kinds of things

The Crimewatch link is new if it has not been posted in other threads on the BirdForum.

This is me hope to get stuck in posting once more on here and get up to date with things once more.

Makes you wonder how many pairs of rare/ unusual raptors there would be in the U.K if it wasn't for persecution. Obviously this also affects Golden Eagles, Hen Harriers etc. Surely the numbers of Buzzards getting killed must be pretty high and I would put money on species such as Marsh Harriers are also taken at times but they don't seem to get picked up/ reported. I don't have the figures to hand but it definitely seems to be getting worse.How do you even get the opportunity to shoot 5 Goshawks I know they aren't mega rare at the right locations, but surely that could mean that they no longer breed in that general area

The perpetrators of these types of crimes must be absolute morons why would you draw attention to the crime. There must be a million and one ways to dispose of the evidence discreetly!

When people are caught is their shotgun licence automatically revoked? I was thinking today that a gamekeeper convicted of wildlife crimes may be an attractive employee to certain people as they have proved that they can keep their mouth shut as I very much doubt that they would put their liberty at danger without at least a little encouragement.

The perpetrators of these types of crimes must be absolute morons why would you draw attention to the crime. There must be a million and one ways to dispose of the evidence discreetly!

When people are caught is their shotgun licence automatically revoked? I was thinking today that a gamekeeper convicted of wildlife crimes may be an attractive employee to certain people as they have proved that they can keep their mouth shut as I very much doubt that they would put their liberty at danger without at least a little encouragement.
The courts routinely leave gamekeepers their shotgun certificate as they can't do their job without it. I can't think of a single other instance in which the commission of a firearms related crime would result in the perpetrator keeping their certificate and it is the main thing that needs to change.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back