• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbills, Speyside (1 Viewer)

edenwatcher

A thread title to make the blood run cold ...
Last weekend I led a very successful SOC outing to Speyside during which we encountered lots of pine munchers.
At Forest Lodge we had a single obvious male parrot xbill, a flock of 8 "pine crossbills" fly over and another male crossbill with a smaller bill. Photos of this bird will be added in due course. Sadly it was not heard to call.
In Anagach woods we had a flock of a few unIDed medium crossbills(!), then 3 clear parrots. We then a large flock (c30) of what looked like common crossbill of which I obtained a few recordings (contaminated by siskin!) - e.g. crossbill 1b below. Unfortunately, whilst it sounds loud enough in Remembird, the exported file seems very quiet. Can anyone help with this?
Finally we encountered a flock of about 15 which seemed a bit chunkier. The recording of this is a bit clearer (crossbill2).
Once I sort the exporting issue I hope to produce sonograms.

Here are the sound files:

Rob (more in hope than expectation)

Attachments

• crossbill1b.mp3
    137.2 KB · Views: 61
  • crossbill2.mp3
    221.7 KB · Views: 47
I think the Remembird software automatically boosts the sound of the recording, which is why recordings often sound louder using it than they do using other programmes. If you have Audacity then you can increase the gain and make the recording louder fairly easily.

A thread title to make the blood run cold ...
;)

Here are a couple of sonograms of the loudest of your calls. For some reason I can't amplify the recording directly in audacity, so had to use another freeware program, mp3directcut, before opening it in RavenLite.

Both look like the same call which, using the 'traditional' names, would be a variant of a type 1 flight call, with a down-up-down shape. This particular variant seems to be quite common at the moment - I first recorded it near Carrbridge last August (although it could account for the possible Parrot I recorded at the start of this thread way back in Dec 07). I have heard and recorded the same calls in mid-Deeside a few times in the past year. Faint sonograms of the call seem to look quite like Type 2 calls, because the small initial down-stroke disappears. The strong final downstroke seems to account for the 'chup' sound that makes it sound like some published Parrot flight call recordings.

As to what species it is - who knows??!! but type 1 calls have traditionally been attributed to Common Crossbill.

Attachments

• crossbill1b.jpg
    crossbill1b.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 33
  • crossbill2.jpg
    crossbill2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks Paul.

Here are the photos from Forest Lodge:

Rob

About to produce sonograms.

Attachments

• crossbill-01.jpg
    crossbill-01.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 63
  • crossbill-02.jpg
    crossbill-02.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 67
  • crossbill-03.jpg
    crossbill-03.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 48
... and here are the new amplified mp3 files.

Rob

Attachments

• crossbill1b.mp3
    259 KB · Views: 42
  • crossbill2.mp3
    364.1 KB · Views: 40
In Anagach woods we had a flock of a few unIDed medium crossbills(!), then 3 clear parrots. We then a large flock (c30) of what looked like common crossbill of which I obtained a few recordings (contaminated by siskin!) - e.g. crossbill 1b below.

Report HERE from exact same area with sonagrams etc.

Interesting. Wonder if the same group of 3 parrots were involved (2m1f)!
Thanks everyone. Looks like scotbill remains elusive.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back