• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow vs juv starling. (1 Viewer)

Sazzyox

United Kingdom
Hey,

First post here. So we regularly feed the birds. Except today, all they’ve had out is bird seed. So we get sparrows, starlings, crows, magpies etc. The usual garden birds. And I was just sitting watching tv and heard a starling in pain, now we normally have a sparrowhawk come and go, but when the sparrows and starlings make the warning noises, (I know it sounds weird, but I know when it’s round due to that noise they make), however, I looked outside and here is this crow standing on a juv starling and then flies away, I tried scaring it off but I am upstairs and I’d have had no chance before it flew off with the juv in its beak/claws. Like I am in shock as the birds in our garden are normally really good together. So does this actually happen a lot or is it rare? Like I say, this has never happened when I have been here and I’ve never once saw the starlings just carrying on as if nothing is going on. When it’s the sparrowhawk, they go crazy, but for a crow? I really just can’t get over it. Is it a case the juv starling was injured and the crow sensed that? Or will they often attack juv’s as I’ve never seen that. All I can hope is the starling got free. But I’m not going to lie, that made me sad as they normally get along. So any idea why that happened, I’d appreciate any info on whether it does happen a lot or such.
Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It has been known for crows to attack and occasionally prey on other birds.
Thank you. ☺️. Yeah I’ve seen them attack seagulls and vice versa and other certain birds. But as far as starlings go, I’ve never seen that before and I’ve fed the birds for more than 20 years. But I just can’t get over the other starlings not attacking as normally, they would go mad at something attacking one of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back