• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotless Starling (2 Viewers)

Tapes

United Kingdom
Hello folks,first post.
I don't know if you're familiar with the birdsong app Merlin. I downloaded it and use it most days while out walking the dog. Is it accurate? Can it be fooled?
The reason I ask is that this morning it identified the call of a Spotless Starling. It's a bird I'd never heard of so I googled it and it appears that there is no native population in the UK.
So,is it possible that they visit? Are they rare?
Just for information I'm in North west England, in a coastal area.
Thanks in anticipation.

Hello folks,first post.
I don't know if you're familiar with the birdsong app Merlin. I downloaded it and use it most days while out walking the dog. Is it accurate? Can it be fooled?
The reason I ask is that this morning it identified the call of a Spotless Starling. It's a bird I'd never heard of so I googled it and it appears that there is no native population in the UK.
So,is it possible that they visit? Are they rare?
Just for information I'm in North west England, in a coastal area.
Thanks in anticipation.
Welcome to Birdforum Tapes, I agree with B W and Mark, get yourself the Collins Bird Guide (it's also available as an App) rather than googling, it shows you the distribution of the various species you're likely to encounter and not encounter in your location.

Hi Tapes and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

May I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy 2024.

Hi Tapes and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

May I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and a happy 2024.
Thanks for that. I was fairly sure it was a mistake,an impressionist Starling fooled me! Have a good Christmas yourself.

For completeness: Merlin can definitely be fooled, the people producing it advises you check with your own ears. However, Spotless Starling sometime do occur outside the expected area, some years ago it even visited Denmark!
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back