• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba for gringos...? (1 Viewer)

MiddleRiver

United States
Travel restrictions remain in effect and it's in some ways all rather vague. I know this is a VERY broad question, but if anyone has recent experiences - positive ones preferred - in Cuba, I'd love to hear them. By that I mean suggestions of 'approved' activities, tours, location visits, etc. I'm considering a week with a 'citizen science' research group, but would then like to book another week with alternative (general nature, birding, museums, culture,...) activities but hesitant to strike out entirely independently due to restrictions for US? Spanish is not a problem and I'm an experienced traveler - just not in countries where US imposes sanctions :-(

Not recent knowledge but 10+ years ago you could enter and be a tourist in Cuba with zero problems, it was more an issue of the US didn't want you to do so. Cuba was happy to have tourists and people were buying tickets in Cancun with cash, flying in, asking for their PP not to get stamped, enjoying, flying out, and it was kind of like it never happened. Another friend of mine visited Cuba via boat from FL, actually but the same jist once there. US ATM and credit cards didn't work so it was necessary to take cash and change money.

Again, no clue about how it is at the moment, apologies.

Not recent knowledge but 10+ years ago you could enter and be a tourist in Cuba with zero problems, it was more an issue of the US didn't want you to do so. Cuba was happy to have tourists and people were buying tickets in Cancun with cash, flying in, asking for their PP not to get stamped, enjoying, flying out, and it was kind of like it never happened. Another friend of mine visited Cuba via boat from FL, actually but the same jist once there. US ATM and credit cards didn't work so it was necessary to take cash and change money.

Again, no clue about how it is at the moment, apologies.
Thx…
Yes, I know that entering through 3rd country is possible but in this case would be joining sanctioned volunteer science group for a week, so really just looking for other (legit) opportunities as means of extending stay.

I was there last April. I traveled with Wildside Birding Adventures. They used a local bird guide, Tania Piñero, as well. Tania does guide individuals, and can organize lodging at private casas particulares. She even organized currency exchange at the street rate (as opposed to the official rate). She was wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't have her email anymore.

I was there last April. I traveled with Wildside Birding Adventures. They used a local bird guide, Tania Piñero, as well. Tania does guide individuals, and can organize lodging at private casas particulares. She even organized currency exchange at the street rate (as opposed to the official rate). She was wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't have her email anymore.
Thx! I’ll check with them and mention Tania…

Something I was not aware of until recently is that apparently you can't get a US electronic visa waiver if you have travelled to Cuba post 2021. Obviously not an issue for US citizens, but worth bearing in mind for the rest of us.

I'm eavesdropping on this... Cuba is high on my list but I'd rather not have to do it under-the-table, so to speak.

As a side benefit, I started looking up info for the guide mentioned above, and soon came across something called Orniverse, which looks like nice potential way to look for guides.

I'm eavesdropping on this... Cuba is high on my list but I'd rather not have to do it under-the-table, so to speak.

As a side benefit, I started looking up info for the guide mentioned above, and soon came across something called Orniverse, which looks like nice potential way to look for guides.
BirdsCaribbean definitely has a license for US Citizen travel to Cuba. Our tour group from Wildside flew from Miami and everything was above board.

I don't know if Tania has a license, but she did say that she's organized trips for individual US citizens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back