• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo in Dalian, China (1 Viewer)

dbeek

Hi. Any idea on this Cuckoo seen today in Jinshitan? (near Dalian, China)

Thanks in advance!

Dave Beeke

Attachments

• Cuckoo 1 (1024x768).jpg
    Cuckoo 1 (1024x768).jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Cuckoo 2 (1024x768).jpg
    Cuckoo 2 (1024x768).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Cuckoo 3 (1024x768).jpg
    Cuckoo 3 (1024x768).jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 72
Nice pictures from all angles! I haven't really identified cuckoos - would love to see this - but am looking at two pics from OBC:

Oriental - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?action=searchresult&Bird_ID=444&Bird_Image_ID=32333&Bird_Family_ID=&p=6

Eurasian http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?action=searchresult&Bird_ID=445&Bird_Image_ID=25566&Bird_Family_ID=&p=12

Seems like the colors (softer grey and lighter bars) looks good for Eurasian, but I would think the striped undertail coverts of Oriental look better? It looks like eye color could help distinguish (eurasian more yellow?), but not clear from pic. Not sure what other features will help... next person?

Eurasian for me: no buff on underparts, barred on undertail coverts, not very prominent bars. I am not sure that eye color, if it was visible, would be of any help.

Thanks all. I went back today and refound the bird. It was calling with a "kok - cooooo" call so I think that confirms it as a Eurasian Cuckoo. Thanks a lot!

You all are so helpful!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back