• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoos on the Warren (1 Viewer)

kingfisher

Scouser in exile
Dawlish Warren NR, Devon

Saturday May 10 2003

Weather: Morning very wet, clearing to sunny intervals

The day dawned damp and the closer i got to Dawlish on the train the wetter it got, in fact much wetter, more like a January than May.

While walking along the sea shore from Dawlish to Dawlish Warren, a few Rock Pipits were feeding on the shore, i wondered if they had young somewere on the rock face along the railway line and the ever present Starlings were making so much noise feeding in the bushes, out at sea, hardly anything but a few gulls, by this time the rain was coming down harder, and i questioned my sanity, as i could have had a lazy morning in bed.....by the time i got Dawlish Warren i was desparate for a cup of tea at the hide, but i decided to wander around the reserve first in the hope of catching something, Linnets seemed everywere as well as Greenfinches, then i found something i had hoped to see, which brought a huge smile to my face, there along the path through the trees was just a single solitary Orchid, so luckily i was wearing my wet weather gear, so there i was on all fours to examine this stunning Southern Marsh Orchid (photo in the gallery) clicking away to capture its beauty even in the rain, my trip was already worthwhile. Onwards to the hide i marched, out on the shore line 5 Curlews fed and i stood watching for a few moments just savouring the moment.

At last i reached the hide and a chance to dry out and enjoy some tea, and tuck into a kingsize Marsbar.....saving my ham and pickle sandwiches until later, i scanned the area for signs of movement, remembering that just a few weeks ago Peter and i had our first Roseate Terns here but alas nothing just yet, but on the sandbanks some Great Black backed Gulls stood with Cormorants along with the ever present Oystercatchers. As the tide drew closer so did the birds and a flock of about 8 Ringed Plovers mixed with 6 Dunlin flew in to join the party on the beach, and then 2 Turnstones arrived, Curlews were further out but closer in was a stunning Whimbrel, a single Oystercatcher had had enough of feeding, preening and looked fed up with the rain and came close to the hide and promptly rested. (photo in the gallery) A single heron was also braving the elements and feeding on the far side close to the railway line, and then suddenly the rain just stopped and with it the birdsong started, and in front of the hide a pair of Wheatears enjoyed the moment soon to be joined by more Linnets, off i marched to enjoy the sunshie as it broke through and it got warmer, on the Warren a female Stonechat sat on a fence post and suddenly birds were everywere, a pair of Magpies went about their business and a Willow Warbler sang and hoped from branch to branch, then what i had hoped to hear all morning the call of the Cuckoo, off i marched close to were the Cuckoo called suddenly not just one but 2 and i was between them both, as i searched the trees one flew above my head and sat upon a tree top and the pair called to each other, then the pair flew back over my head back across the Warren.........i was on a mighty high at that moment, close to the visitor centre Swallows and House Martins fed on the wing in the warm sun, i left Dawlish Warren via the Orchid, and more photographs, my morning was one to savour a single Orchid and Cuckoos on the Warren.

I am now keen to return to the Warren to see that Orchid. Enjoyed your report and I sympathise with you getting wet as you will know!!

I had a great walk round Exminster Marshes this afternoon and evening and will post a report tomorrow night.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back