• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cumbria - A66 near Appleby - smallish raptor? (1 Viewer)

Only got a fleeting glance at the underside of this as I was driving and it came from the side of the road and flew in front of me for a few seconds. On the A66 a little east of Appleby. About 6pm.

White or very light grey underside, wings and body, but the wings looked like they had a black border round them. Yellow or orange legs.

Size - hard to say, crow sized perhaps, maybe bigger.

That’s all I’ve got I’m afraid. Looking at images now I wonder if it was a male hen harrier, but I thought they were pretty rare so I’m not really sure what to think.

Last edited:
Impossible to identify from this description, I'm afraid. Hen harrier couldn't be ruled out, but - on a poor view - neither could various other things. And judging even just the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.

If the border was a contrasting black trailing edge Joe, then there aren’t “many” Bops at Crow size that might fit that description, your hunch may well have been right, perhaps not one for the committee (that wasn’t there) but for your conscience…that was.👍

Harriers are very distinctively shaped in flight. I would expect anyone used to seeing buzzards, falcons, sparrowhawks etc to notice the long-straight, narrow wings even from brief view of a flying harrier. Did you notice anything about the shape??
It's worth noting that there is perfect habitat along the A66 for hen harriers once you've gone up the hill but they are rare breeders anywhere in England, probably due to persecution.

The other crow-sized birds with black and white on the wings around there are lapwings. I've mistaken them for raptors on brief views loads of times and they're very common along the A66 at this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back