• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cupido blue sp. Tatras Mountains (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Can anyone help with this? I am pretty sure it is the same individual - they were taken 2 minutes apart from each other.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• b13bluea.jpg
    b13bluea.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 3
  • b13bluebunder.jpg
    b13bluebunder.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
If anyone could confirm or correct this as large ringlet, I'd appreciate that too.

Attachments

• b4ringletunder.jpg
    b4ringletunder.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • b5ringletu.jpg
    b5ringletu.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Large ringlet. The blue looks like Provençal to me (saw them a few weeks back in Romania) but eastern short tailed is very similar and the easiest separation technique is the shade of blue of the upperside. Not sure what to do with females. Scrifider sees both regularly.

But my inexpert take would be Provençal short tailed

Not sure on range of eastern short tailed. Provencal would be fine

Edit. Just looked in more detail. Both range and underside look better for Provencal but I’ve only seen them once

Users who are viewing this thread

Back