• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cyprus female dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
dfid.jpg

Am I correct in IDing this as a female Red-Veined Darter. (Cyprus early november) the side view isnt great for the markings on the final segment but the blue under eye is visible

And this is female Violet Dropwing? As red veined would have smaller coloured wing-base patches and thinner abdomen with more black at he end?vdr.jpg

And this is female Violet Dropwing? As red veined would have smaller coloured wing-base patches and thinner abdomen with more black at he end?
It is a female Violet Dropwing Trithemis annulata (rather than RV Darter) because it has red/blue eyes with no black down the side of the frons, all black legs, dark markings along the side of the thorax, and a lot of crossveins off the costa (leading edge) (apart from the colouration and the way the wings are held!).

There is a lot of variation in the size of wing-base patches within species in both Red-veined Darter and Violet Dropwing so I wouldn't use that as an ID feature myself.

With a good view the easiest separating feature (between Sympetrum sp and Trithemis sp) is the wing venation as in attached pic (done for a spanish forum)

Attachments

• fonscolombii_annulata.jpg
    fonscolombii_annulata.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 18
Thank you that was very helpful. The confusion species for the second one was red winged dropwing rather than darter. I should have been clearer

Edit sorry yes Red-Veined Dropwing

Last edited:
thats the one, sorry was posting the clarification in a hurry on my phone and managed to make it confusing in a different way. There were a lot of Red-Veined Dropwing around when I saw the violet dropwing so it's good that I have the photo saved correctly

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back