• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Czech in the post? (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
In 1913 Josef Graf von Seilern und Aspang described both Capito tucinkae and Thamnophilus aethiops kapouni in the same paper (Verhandl. Ornith. Gesell. Bayern, 11, 276-277). Neither name was provided with an explanation, dedication or etymology, and so far their meanings have escaped the etymologist, although both have the ring of the eponym and I always believed they related to Amerindian peoples. However, just before I went away for a short break Jan indicated that both Tucinka and Kapoun were Czech family names. Since the Graf founded a museum in Moravia these possibilities are exciting. I have started to research these names on the web, but would appreciate any help, insights or information that BirdForum enthusiasts can provide.
Well done, Jan!

Last edited:
How about "P. Emil Kapoun" (here), Mitgleider der Gesellschaft , since 1899 ... ?!?

Also see; here (following Kremsler ...) and here.

Who he was? And if he had any connection to Graf von Seilern und Aspang?

I haven´t got a clue!

Björn
---

Last edited:
And regarding tucinkae in:

• Scarlet-hooded Barbet Eubucco tucinkae SEILERN 1913 (here) as "Capito tucinkae" a k a Seilern's Barbet (the Antshrike subspecies is the next bird, in the same paper)

If not connected to either the Czech's or Moravia (Czech: Morava, German: Mähren ... etc., here), alt. some kind of tučínka ... or a similar Czech word, could it possibly be an odd combination of the Güaraní name Tukâ-í (little toucan)* + the German inka (as in the Inca's) ... ?

In Swedish this species is called inkabarbett (Inca Barbet), but why is also unknown to me (it could very well be simply due to a free interpretation of the scientific name).

*Or maybe yet another tuc, like the supposedly Sanskrit tuc apparently related to the Latin tingo (painted) ... ?

Here I´m suddenly getting far beyond my grasp.

That´s all I can speculate ... I´m off to other etymologies.

Good luck solving them!
---

Last edited:
Also see; here (following Kremsler ...) and ...
Should have been Kremsier!

My misstake, sloppy, sorry!

Eyes apparently getting old.

Björn

PS. Full entry of Martin's latter link, here. Whomever "our" Emil Kapoun" was, not to confuse with his namesake; the celebrated US Army Priest Emil Kapoun, who died in a Korean Prison camp in 1951.
--

Last edited:
Wild Goose-chase

Apparently hard to keep one's fingers away from kapouni...
Good candidate. Seems to be a philosopher here studied in Innsbruck. ...
Surely a Candidate (in more than one way), but unfortunately not a "good" one, at least not for this bird ...

I think we can forget "P. Emil Kapoun" ["P." for Pater (Father)?], as if I understand this right, he was born in Petruska in 1896, (here, p.155) ... which, most likely, exclude him from the possibility of being commemorated in the name of an Antshrike (from the Amazonian parts of Peru) descibed when he was only 17.

And still no links found between the Graf von Seilern und Aspang and any Kapoun what-so-ever. I assume, if this bird truly is commemorating a Mr. Kapoun, that we´re looking for an unknown man by that name, possilby from Moldodvia (Mähren), where the above mentioned Emil originated from. Possibly some Kapoun related to him (simply linked, if so, by the shared interest of Natural History).

This far the only thing we´ve learned is (like noted in post No #1) that there is a family name Kapoun. Any possible link to this bird is beyond me. Maybe anyone knowing the Czech language can find any additional info?

If not, if this scientific name really is an Eponym, I guess the true Mr. Kapoun, will remain a mystery.

Now I´m done!

Björn
---

Last edited:
We are confounded by Czech and Austrian references. Björn's link #3 reveals that P. Emil Kapoun of Lukov, Slovakia, had been a full member of the Zoologische-Botanischen Gesellschaft in Österreich since 1899, although his specific interests were unknown (the list of members appears to be dated c. 1930). The congregational roll of Innsbruck showing Herr Emil Kapoun appears to be erroneous; he is shown as being born in Betruska (cannot find this place) in 1896, but becoming a Brother in 1883. It is feasible that these two entries refer to the same person, and that the first makes him a possible candidate for kapouni. I shall try to contact Jiří Mlíkovský in Prague to see if he can help.

Jiří Mlíkovský has kindly and swiftly responded to my enquiry, and reports that Fr. Emil Kapoun was chaplain to Graf von Seilern und Aspang at Lešná Castle. Jiří says he is currently in the UK, but will try to obtain more data on kapouni and tucinkae when he returns to his museum in Prague. In the meantime, I have amended the Key entry for kapouni.

Wow! What a surprise! It apparently wasn´t a wild goose-chase after all!!!

And James, no wonder you can´t find "Petruska" on the map, I think the correct interpretation of his birthplace is Petrufka. Compare with familiar spellings on the same page, as for example "Böhmen" and "Prof." (Professor)

I think Petrufka is a small Village (Dorf), see links; here and here. But exactly where is beyond my understanding.

Let´s hope Jiří Mlíkovský can add the missing parts!
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back