• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Danum Valley, Sabah (1 Viewer)

charlieclark99

United Kingdom
I was wondering if anybody has visited the Danum Valley Field Centre in the last few months and had any insight into the logistics of birding there with/without a guide?

Having read many reports on cloudbirders, most birders talk of contacting the Danum Valley Field Centre Office and arranging a reduced rate deal that does not include a guide. Then (contrary to what is officially allowed) they've been allowed to bird the various trails, unsupervised.

However, having contacted the DVFC office this week it appears this is not possible anymore, with them telling me it is now compulsory to book a package deal with a guide.

Ultimately, I'm trying to ascertain from anybody who has visited recently whether - even though you are forced to pay for a package that includes a general guide - you can still (unofficially) forgo the package itinerary and walk the trails unsupervised?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back