• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darren Pearce's 2008 UK Year List (1 Viewer)

One more this weekend from Ferrybridge,Portland, Dorset

193 Little Tern

Attachments

• little tern.jpg
    little tern.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 107
Over the course of the year I have "dipped" Dippers at my usual site about 10 times. So it was time for a change of location. I used RBA's "Where to find guide" and it came up trumps with a site in Gloucestershire.

194 Dipper

On Sunday evening it was back to the Forest of Dean for Nightjar. While we waiting a Woodcock flew over. This was a lifer for me as I have never managed to stumble over one before. By the time the Nightjar showed I had seen the Woodcock go over around 50 times.

The Nightjar appeared around 9:30pm and it was still relatively light so it was a very good view. Unfortunately it was the only view before the poor light got the better of us and the kids had to go to bed. Luckily it was an in-service day on Monday

195 Woodcock
196 Nightjar

I got one opportunity to photograph the Dipper and I blew it, see how I managed to get the pavement in focus but not the bird.

Attachments

• Dipper.jpg
    Dipper.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 116
June, yawn, struggling as usual to get to 200. The week was brightened up a little by the possible or probable or putative American Herring Gull at Chew Valley Lake. Brightened up for us maybe but not the resident Lesser Black Backed Gull that he seem to take great delight in trying to drown. I am no gull expert so sorting this one out is in the hands of the experts.

Popped up to Slimbridge this morning to dip the Ring Billed Gull yet again. Everyone else seem to see it, but whenever I go it goes missing only to return the next day. However Green Sandpiper was a year tick

197 Green Sandpiper

Attachments

• ahg.jpg
    ahg.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 99
  • ahg2.jpg
    ahg2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 103
  • ahg3.jpg
    ahg3.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 94
  • ahg4.jpg
    ahg4.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 90
  • gsand.jpg
    gsand.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 109
After dipping the Slimbridge Ring Billed Gull no less than six times, I started to wonder where the next tick might come from. Thankfully Slimbridge came up with a Wood Sandpiper to help confine that Gull to history.

198 Wood Sandpiper

Thats it honest, the brown blob in the middle

Attachments

• woodsand.jpg
    woodsand.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 121
One more today, I went to look for some Whinchat's that had been reported yesterday about 10 mins from home.

Luckily they were still there and looked to be a family party of 1 male. a female and a juv.

199 Whinchat

Customary rubbish shot below

Attachments

• whinchat.jpg
    whinchat.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
One more this weekend from an unplanned visit to Poole

200 Dartford Warbler

Couldn't get a photo though, the little blighters wouldn't stay still

I went to Slimbridge yesterday for an evening of Gull identification with the wardens. I got two year ticks of which one was Grey Plover, which is well overdue. I still haven't got a Barn Owl though

201 Yellow Legged Gull
202 Grey Plover

Been away on holiday in France for a couple of weeks, luckily I haven't missed much locally.

Before I went I added Quail locally

203 Quail

When I got back there was a Red Necked Phalarope at Frampton-on-Severn, which I was able to duck out for in between unpacking holiday bags

204 Red Necked Phalarope

Annoyingly I dipped the Stilt Sandpiper on Thursday by 10 minutes. But I was able to see the Osprey that has been at Shapwick Heath for a couple of days

205 Osprey

Attachments

• osprey.jpg
    osprey.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 79
At last things are starting to move, and there have been a few bits and pieces around locally.

I nipped to Slimbridge in my lunch hour on Tuesday for a walk out to see the juvenile Dotterel that has been around for a few days

206 Dotterel

On Saturday we went to Chew Valley Lake to see a flock of Arctic Terns that had dropped in. As we were driving home the pager bleeped as a Grey Phalarope had been found, so much to the kid's dismay we turned around and went back.

207 Arctic Tern
208 Grey Phalarope

Yesterday we popped to Devon to see some of the decent birds that HAD been around. No sign of any Wryneck's or the Semipalmated Sandpiper.
We decided to go to Berry Head to try for Cirl Bunting, which was a UK tick for me having seen them abroad.

Initially I was pessimistic, having missed everything else. But eventually one obliged.

209 Cirl Bunting

Attachments

• CIRL2.jpg
    CIRL2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 96
A couple more from the weekend, On Saturday we went for an afternoon out at Portland, where the Melodious Warbler showed well.

210 Melodious Warbler

Yesterday we popped out to Kingston Seymour near Clevedon as there were two Wryneck's there

211 Wryneck

Attachments

• 13092008026_edited.jpg
    13092008026_edited.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 14092008033_edited.jpg
    14092008033_edited.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 95
Three more from the last week or so,

I went to Severn Beach last weekend and soon picked out my target bird

212 Curlew Sandpiper

I dipped Pectoral Sandpiper 3 times last week, but in an opportunistic visit to Barrow Gurney water tanks on the way to collecting the in-laws from the airport I struck lucky, also saw my second Ferruginous Duck of the year

213 Pectoral Sandpiper

Yesterday a Red Backed Shrike appeared for a few hours down in Mark in Somerset. It was only about three quarters of an hour away and a British tick for me. Thank goodness we made the descision to go when we did. When I got there the bird was showing well. After about 10 minutes it disapeared, never to be seen again

214 Red Backed Shrike

Attachments

• red backed shrike.jpg
    red backed shrike.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 83
  • red backed shrike 2.jpg
    red backed shrike 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 86
The weekend before last we popped out to Portland again and at last I saw Bearded Tit. I really thought that I was going to miss out on them this year as I have been a few times before this year with no success.

215 Bearded Tit

This weekend we spent a few days in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, maybe not as productive as I would have hoped, but it was definately quality over quantity

216 Red Eyed Vireo
217 Rose Coloured Starling
218 Sociable Plover
219 Grey Cheeked Thrush
220 Snow Bunting
221 Merlin
222 Great Skua
223 Red Breasted Flycatcher

Attachments

• Sociable Plover.jpg
    Sociable Plover.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Grey Cheeked Thrush.jpg
    Grey Cheeked Thrush.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 91
  • Red Eyed Vireo 1.jpg
    Red Eyed Vireo 1.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Snow Bunting.jpg
    Snow Bunting.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
A good couple of weeks

The weekend before last we popped to Chew Valley Lake for the Long Tailed Duck that has been around for a while. It took some searching for because of it's constant diving but eventually once I knew where it was I had some reasonable views.

224 Long Tailed Duck

Last weekend was spent in Norfolk and we saw some quality birds, including one of my favorites Waxwings. I spent much to long hanging out in some woods waiting for the Red Flanked Bluetail but in the end I saw it well. After this trip I have equalled last years "year list" and any more will improve on my record.

225 Marsh Harrier
226 Pink Footed Goose
227 Waxwing
228 Eider
229 Water Pipit
230 Red Flanked Bluetail
231 Barn Owl
232 Common Crane

Attachments

• waxwing overstrand 03.jpg
    waxwing overstrand 03.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Over the bridge today to Cardiff and two good birds to justify the toll.

First stop Lamby lake and the returning Ring Billed Gull, which showed really well despite lots of dogs barking at it. A nice claw back after dipping the Slimbridge one about 106 times

233 Ring Billed Gull

Then onto Cardiff Bay to see the Slavonian Grebe. This bird was so close that with it's constant diving it became almost impossible to digiscope. Eventually after about an hour of "find bird in scope,focus,apply camera,press button and B******s, it's gone again" I got a half decent shot

234 Slavonian Grebe

These two take me safely past my year list record

Attachments

• ring billed gull.jpg
    ring billed gull.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Slav Grebe.jpg
    Slav Grebe.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 93
Pretty slow recently, however a couple of weekends ago I managed to see the Bittern at Slimbridge

235 Bittern

Today I went to Severn Beach in search of the Firecrest's reported yesterday, no luck unfortunately but I was able to see my first Jack Snipe of the year there

236 Jack Snipe

With Xmas out of the way, we decided to go down to Cornwall for the Snowy Owl. After a trek up the hillside it was showing well. An excellent bird and up there for bird of the year. I got a few record shots, the best of which is below. The distance coupled with the wind meant that digiscoping was a struggle

237 Snowy Owl

On the way back we popped into Feock and soon picked up the two Velvet Scoter's that had been reported also a Great Northern Diver

238 Velvet Scoter

Attachments

• snowy.jpg
    snowy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 72
Today I went to Hampshire/Wiltshire. My main target was the Red Breasted Goose at Keyhaven Marshes.

I got there at around 9am and soon found a flock of Brent Geese and a couple of other birders going through them. No sign of the Red Breast here but a Black Brant was a pleasant surprise.

We wondered around to the fields by the farm where the birds was seen yesterday and after a while the Brent's started piling in and amongst them was the Red Breasted Goose.

I stupidly forgot my camera so the image below is "phonescoped"

--- Black Brant
239 Red Breasted Goose

I moved onto Blashford Lakes as it was only about half an hour away.
My luck continued, as I got into one of the hides the Bittern was showing well. After a while I left the hide armed with info on where I might find Hen Harriers nearby and ran straight into a Firecrest. I have spent the last few weeks dipping local Firecrest and now one found me

240 Firecrest

Following the instructions I had been given I went out in search of Hen Harrier's. After a few miles I caught a glimpse of something in the corner of my eye which looked like a Harrier. Frustratingly it seemed ages before I found somewhere to park. I ran back from my car and looked over the edge of the hill and there was the unmistakeable sight of a male Hen Harrier hunting over the scrub.

241 Hen Harrier

I have to work tomorrow, so that looks like my lot for 2008. It has been an amazing year with some great birds and some horrible dips, Stilt Sandpiper in Glos and Dark Eyed Junco in Somerset spring to mind. Hopefully next year will be as good :t:

Attachments

• 30122008072.jpg
    30122008072.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back