• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

That heron is still in a folder under the stairs... must get it framed!
It's not even framed yet?!!
Get it to a gallery - it's beautiful. But, no -I don't think you're whinging. I fully appreciate that the artist is the hardest person to satisfy (and sometimes that never happens), but your obvious skill in the colour dept is sooo apparent and the more you do the more it becomes so. (IMHO of course ;) )

It's not even framed yet?!!
Get it to a gallery - it's beautiful. But, no -I don't think you're whinging. I fully appreciate that the artist is the hardest person to satisfy (and sometimes that never happens), but your obvious skill in the colour dept is sooo apparent and the more you do the more it becomes so. (IMHO of course ;) )

Hmm, maybe I should bring it back to the UK with me, Acrylic can be rolled right?

Dave

Bereft of sun, warmth, Malaysian food, and my beloved tablet and light sabre, I am back in Blighty for a few freezing weeks - can't think how you hardy folks actually survive here!

Occupied the few fleeting moments of daylight between dawn and dusk with sketching this female House Sparrow at the feeder from the relative warmth of the kitchen - not a bird I see except when in the UK.

It's not done yet - keep having to stop to warm myself up with a cuppa, and when I get back it's dark already - but here's how it's going.

Dave

PS You folks in Orkney and beyond must develop owl-like powers of vision

Attachments

• House Sparrow1.jpg
    House Sparrow1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 120
  • House Sparrow2.jpg
    House Sparrow2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 135
lovely bird, not seeing them for ages hasn't stopped you from tuning into its character. It's going to be great, reminds me I should stop faffing on t'internet and do some painting myself today. (Got my own sparrows to do!)

Ah - y'see the short hours of, er, daylight (!) hone the senses so you have to get more done in the limited time available. well, either that or succumb to SAD, curl up in front of a log fire with the missis and a whisky and stay drunk til March. See ya in spring!!!!!
Lovely drawings Dave - proving one doesn't NEED light sabres if one has this level of talent (agrred, it's just another tool in the kit - but I like pencil!).

Ah - y'see the short hours of, er, daylight (!) hone the senses so you have to get more done in the limited time available. well, either that or succumb to SAD, curl up in front of a log fire with the missis and a whisky and stay drunk til March. See ya in spring!!!!!
Lovely drawings Dave - proving one doesn't NEED light sabres if one has this level of talent (agrred, it's just another tool in the kit - but I like pencil!).

Well, I think it's done now. I know Nick will agree with me, but if anyone else can see further work to be done, please say! Oh, and before you ask, the other leg's cunningly concealed behind the tail!

Attachments

• House Sparrow3.jpg
    House Sparrow3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 143
She's a beauty and she needs nothing more than an extension to the background (perhaps?) and a frame. Perhaps it's just that I work on the computer all day and painting is my release from all that but I agree with Tim, you don't need the digi stuff when you can do the 'analogue' stuff this well!

Woody

yes, she's done, no problem. Perhaps as Woody suggests, an extension to the background just for aesthetics, but other than that it's finished and what a little cracker it is too.

yes, she's done, no problem. Perhaps as Woody suggests, an extension to the background just for aesthetics, but other than that it's finished and what a little cracker it is too.

Right-o

Thanks for the suggestion Nick and Woody. I'll see to it!

Dave

Thanks for all the kind comments.

I staked out the nut basket from the comfort of the kitchen window once again this morning, and watched this delightful male Greenfinch as it found a sunny spot in the hedge and basked for about half an hour, subsinging to himself the whole while, giving plenty of opportunity for sketching.

I was amazed at how tiny the eye was.

My other project today was updating the house sign - acryllic on pottery - quite interesting. This still isn't finished - more work on the legs required and something inspirational for the background - any suggestions? Before and after pic below.

Dave

Attachments

• Greenfinch1.jpg
    Greenfinch1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Greenfinch1a'.jpg
    Greenfinch1a'.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Greenfinch1b.jpg
    Greenfinch1b.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Whimbrel1.jpg
    Whimbrel1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Whimbrel2.jpg
    Whimbrel2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for all the kind comments.

I staked out the nut basket from the comfort of the kitchen window once again this morning, and watched this delightful male Greenfinch as it found a sunny spot in the hedge and basked for about half an hour, subsinging to himself the whole while, giving plenty of opportunity for sketching.

I was amazed at how tiny the eye was.

My other project today was updating the house sign - acryllic on pottery - quite interesting. This still isn't finished - more work on the legs required and something inspirational for the background - any suggestions? Before and after pic below.

Dave

Greenfinches are just fantastic. Can almost sense the birds contentment as it soaks up the sun. Fantastic...
Whimbrel sign is lovely too, really well painted, would agree the legs are too green and could be rendered a bit greyer perhaps.

...all in all a rather productive day I'd say...

Last edited:
Loving the greenfinches, excellent shape produced by the bold shading. The sign is coming along great. Suggestions for background would be volcanic rocks (how I saw my first in Lanzarote 10 years back) or on some rushy saltmarsh/golf course (how I got used to them in Wales)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back