• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DBA/CSNA taxonomic changes (1 Viewer)

Sea bird enthusiasts might want to keep and eye on this year's AOU proposals, as I have picked up gossip from Birding and the North Carolina listserve that the Desertas Petrel issue may come up this year. The potential Desertas split was one issue that caused the vote down by the ABA on recognizing just Fea's for the ABA checklist, instead of the current Fea's/Zino's status

The 2010 NACC Proposals? The 2009 were uninspiring! I apologize if anyone answered the G. randoni versus G. randonii question, but I think it was randoni.
It is randoni here in 1860 page 150:
http://books.google.com/books?id=f2...resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false .
And in a revue of Loche's Catalogue des Mammiferes et des Oiseaux observes en Algerie in a 1859 Archiv fur N. (page 36) the name is listed as randoni, one (i). Actually as Galerida Randoni.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Xv..." observes en Algerie Capitaine Loche&f=false .

Sea bird enthusiasts might want to keep and eye on this year's AOU proposals, as I have picked up gossip from Birding and the North Carolina listserve that the Desertas Petrel issue may come up this year. The potential Desertas split was one issue that caused the vote down by the ABA on recognizing just Fea's for the ABA checklist, instead of the current Fea's/Zino's status
A similar situation in the British Isles. Many British/Irish birders probably now have Pterodroma feae Fea's Petrel on their lists, rather than 'soft-plumaged petrel sp'. But if BOURC ever gets round to recognising P deserta Desertas Petrel, they could be taking a step backwards to 'Fea's petrel sp'.

Richard

I apologize if anyone answered the G. randoni versus G. randonii question, but I think it was randoni.
It is randoni here in 1860 page 150:
http://books.google.com/books?id=f2...resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false .
And in a revue of Loche's Catalogue des Mammiferes et des Oiseaux observes en Algerie in a 1859 Archiv fur N. (page 36) the name is listed as randoni, one (i). Actually as Galerida Randoni.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Xv..." observes en Algerie Capitaine Loche&f=false .
Van Steenis 2008. Trends in systematics: Galerida galore – speciation in 'crested larks'. Dutch Birding 30(4): 238-239:

"...Despite its novelty, the scientific name has already caused some confusion. The correct one is indeed Galerida macrorhyncha Tristram, 1859, containing the subspecies G m macrorhyncha and G m randonii Loche, 1860 (Redactie Dutch Birding 2008). The latter taxon has also been referred to as randonii Loche, 1858 (but that is a nomen nudum) or randoni Loche, 1860, but the correct name and spelling should be randonii Loche, 1860 (contra Dickinson 2003; Edward Dickinson in litt to editors)."

Richard

Last edited:

But it is randonii on the plate, which was published at the same time. Thus you have two original spellings - you need a First Reviser to select which will be the "correct" one.
My understanding is that Loche himself used only randonii in the next subsequent publication where he addressed the taxon (1867), which under the present Code makes him the FR. But I've not seen the publication in question.

Last edited:
Why is the Loche 1858 names nomen nudum?? The birds in the book refer to specimens at the Algeria museum or the Exposition museum?
1858. Catalogue | des mammiferes | et | des oiseaux | observes en
Algerie | par le Capitaine Loche | (du 456 de Hgne) | Chevalier de
la Legion [etc., 2 lines.}, \ et Conservateur de 1'Exposition Perma-
nente | des Produits de 1'Algerie | redige d'aprds la classification |
de S. A. le Prince Charles-Lucien Bonaparte | Paris | Libraire
d'Arthur Bertrand | Rue Hautefeuille, 2 1 | Droit de traduction et
de reproduction reserve'.

i vol. demy 8vo, pp. J-XJ+i, 1-158. Paris.
A catalogue of the mammals and birds observed in Algeria by the author, with
synonymy (scientific and local vernacular) and distribution of each species,
and with references to specimens in the collection of the "Exposition." Sup-
plementary lists record the species known from the region but not found by
the author. The ornithology occupies pp. 33-158. No date is given on the
title-page, but the preface is dated March i, 1858. The present copy was
autographed (on the wrapper) by the author in presentation to Louis Reichen-
bach, Dresden.

Why is the Loche 1858 names nomen nudum?? The birds in the book refer to specimens at the Algeria museum or the Exposition museum?
Of course as the author I should know, but if I remember correctly there were two people between me and Dickinson’s judgement...

No disparagement intended X. My question then is whether Loche referring to type specimens equals an indication under Art. 12.1. 12.3 says the mentioning of a vernacular name, locality geological horizon, host, label or specimen are not an indication. So there is my answer. Perhaps there are drawings in the 1858 Loche?

Mediterranean Storm Petrel

- Hydrobates pelagicus melitensis becomes H. melitensis 'Mediterranean Storm Petrel'.

I wonder on what basis the two storm petrels have been split.
The BWP states that the subspecies 'Hydrobates pelagicus melitensis' is no longer recognised as 'differences from British birds too small to warrant subspecies recognition". It says that they are 'said to be' darker and larger, but that the claimed larger size of bills from Maltese birds may not be real (through the shrinkage of skins & the vagaries of accurate measuring).
All 3 tubenose splits are based upon Robb, Mullarney & The Sound Approach 2008. Petrels night and day: a Sound Approach guide.
So presumably based on vocalisations.

Must be down to diet... ;)

[H melitensis is listed as a proposed split by IOC.]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back