• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Delta del Ebro (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hi,
Finally this year I will go in Ebro delta for Christmas time (after a small stay at Aiguamolls lakes). We will stay at Poblenou del delta.
I guess Encanyssada and Tancada are the recommended one for that season. I know that there is also a private bird hide but open to all birder. I do not remember the name, but not to far from la Tancada (on the road from els muntels to urbanizacion Eucalyptus), this is the water rail & Purple Swamphen very close from hide.
Is there any otother 'new' activity or specific species seen to report close by?
Best regards
Yves

Encanyissada and El Clot are both very close to Poblenou del Delta, walking distance, in fact. There is a Mirador (tower hide) between the two lakes which always provide many of the highlights of any visit for me. There are other Miradors by those two lakes.

The hide that you mention is at Riet Vell, also well worth a visit, at least when I visit the Delta, which tends to be migration time. I think that they sometimes ask for a donation to SEO.

The salinas close to Tancada, called Salines de Sant Antoni, have proved to be well worth a visit. There is a fairly new information centre next to them. When I went there one time they were conducting trips with visitors, probably information tours rather than for birders.

There are many other great places in the Delta.

BTW, I tend not to visit the area in the winter as shooting goes on, although only on certain days of the week.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks Allen for this information
In deed, it is Riet vell. This hide is one of the best as it is very close to water. Donation is not compulsory and people give according to the reward they want to give.
Best regards
Yves

I had a great trip there in October maybe three years ago.

In Poble Nou I ate, nearly every night, in Pati D'Agustini - it was great (although didn't look much from the outside).
Straight north of Poble Nou is a tower hide between the El Clot lakes. I think this is exciting in March but didn't produce much in October. I went to the second tower further up the road and then to the right. I had Moustached Warbler here. There was a fair bit of newly planted reeds when I was there but mainly Coots everywhere.

There are a number of tracks that lead toward Riet Vell which is the main place now (by a small farm shop at the side of the raod). You sort of walk through a farm area to get to the hide. I had Marsh Sand, Water Rail, Purple Swampy (very easy) here. I failed but at the right time of the year this is good for Crakes. i had some Lesser Short Toed Larks just after Riet Vell on the road to the right and then a sandy area towards the beach on the left - again don't know if they are around in winter.

I think at this time of the year it is a question of exploring all the dirt tracks.

http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm

there is another site that gives regular info but i can't find it on this computer...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back