• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denmark, sea birds (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Hello!
Last week at sea. I'm not familiar with these birds, so I thought I'd better have their identity confirmed. The birds were far away.
My guess:
1- Female Common Scoter.
2.3 and 4- Common Eider, although its white patches don't quite add up. Pictures 3 and 4 are the same bird.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fyns Hoved. Dk.jpg
    Fyns Hoved. Dk.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 63
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 94
2-4 are definitely Eiders. They're quite variable at this time of year. 1 is hard to discern. It looks maybe more like an auk than a duck but the low image quality makes it hard to work out the shape.

Hello,

do you have more pictures of the first bird? Yes, picture quality might well make a confident ID impossible (even for those with extrem experience in distant seabird ID?), but you know I cant resist.

Did you got a Common Scooter vibe from me the field? If yes, then it might well be one. You know, that observers opinion is far more reliable than a poor picture (no offence you know).

But if not, then I agree with The Fern and Andrew. And a Black Guillemot or a possible Red throated Diver would be my first guess.

But I hope for more pictures and comments!

Hello,

do you have more pictures of the first bird? Yes, picture quality might well make a confident ID impossible (even for those with extrem experience in distant seabird ID?), but you know I cant resist.

Did you got a Common Scooter vibe from me the field? If yes, then it might well be one. You know, that observers opinion is far more reliable than a poor picture (no offence you know).

But if not, then I agree with The Fern and Andrew. And a Black Guillemot or a possible Red throated Diver would be my first guess.

But I hope for more pictures and comments!
For the first, I think it must be common scoter even though it recalls other things like guillemots and grebes. I think the pattern of pale and dark rules most of these out (taking artifacts into account), as does the bill shape---even though it's not "obviously" a scoter bill, I think it rules out the longer guillemot "dagger" for example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back