• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denmark. Duck (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Last week in a lake. Another far, far away picture. My apologies! The bird on the right, looks like...

a)Female Red- Breasted Pochard. Yes, only the species should not occur in Denmark.
b)Female Garganey.
c) Female Common Scoter. But all by herself in a lake?

Which do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230827_190355.jpg
    20230827_190355.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Hello,

do you have more pictures?

I cant identify your bird with confidence, but my guess in quiz modus would be Common Teal. My gut feeling is
  • it seems a small Duck in relation to the other ones
  • the head pattern recalling a Scooter seems good for a Teal
  • can I detect the right pale mudd- yellowish-flesh area on the bill base???
  • the dark area on the chin is present in some moulting Teals and eclipse male Mallards.
But yes, this is wishful thinking, but these are the points that give your bird a Teal feeling for me.

Hello,

do you have more pictures?

I cant identify your bird with confidence, but my guess in quiz modus would be Common Teal.
Thank you, Alexander! I have no more photos of our bird but I've attached an enlargement of the op so you can compare its size with the Mallard's behind. The size speaks for a Teal's id, as does the abundance of Teals in the lake. But the facial pattern doesn't seem quite right for a Teal, does it?

Attachments

• 1 carretona.jpg
    1 carretona.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
You saw it with your naked eye - is this what it looked like?

Attachments

• scoiter.jpg
    scoiter.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 30
I am presuming that you need to ID the center bird, yes? If so - It is a Common Scoter

Attachments

• Midbird.jpg
    Midbird.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 22
So you didn't read my comment. Hey ho.
🤔 I think you'll find I did, which is why I expanded my answer. Apologies if my use of answers in the plural confused you. But the previous answers (in the plural) suggested teal with some degree of reasoning. With such a poor and pixelated image, it is not possible to go in to fine detail. Hey ho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back