• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Destination suggestions please (1 Viewer)

MKBirder

I'd like to hear from others who have been in the situation of having to combine the main family holiday with birding. My son and I are keen birders, and whilst my wife and 5yr old daughter enjoy the walking and countryside, they also need alternatives at times. We all prefer quieter resorts/centres.
Have managed this year to combine Boston with Concord (Gt Meadows) and Cape Ann with trips to Plum Island and a whale/seabird watch.
We are looking next for somewhere more adventurous; perhaps Costa Rica, Caribbean, or Indian Ocean. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

companies

Hi MK

There must be other companies like my self out there that cater for families and non-birders through the summer.

Try "family birding holiday" in your search engine.

Good luck and all the best

My wife is a 100% non-birder and I've enjoyed mixed birding and general holidays in Australia and Trinidad & Tobago in the last few years. If Australia is too far then I can strongly recommend Tobago, which is a very beautiful island, has some superb birding (especially if you are new to the Neotropics as I was), is surprisingly underdeveloped and quiet apart from the hideous Crown Point area near the airport. Trinidad is even better for birding and less geared to tourism. I'd recommend visiting both islands as they are very different, like separate countries. Do a search on the Trinidad & Tobago thread and it may whet your appetite.

E

I'd like to hear from others who have been in the situation of having to combine the main family holiday with birding. My son and I are keen birders, and whilst my wife and 5yr old daughter enjoy the walking and countryside, they also need alternatives at times. We all prefer quieter resorts/centres.
Have managed this year to combine Boston with Concord (Gt Meadows) and Cape Ann with trips to Plum Island and a whale/seabird watch.
We are looking next for somewhere more adventurous; perhaps Costa Rica, Caribbean, or Indian Ocean. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

South Africa is an excellent place for a family trip, even non-birders get excited by the wildlife and is a very easy country to travel in. We had a family trip for 6 weeks when my son was 3 and it was a great, stress free success. For family holidays I look for ease, good hygene and safety much more than I did before becoming a parent or if I do a birding trip without the family. So I'd also suggest malaysia - nhaven't been there since being a parent as I've spend about 5 months there in my younger days - but that fits the criteria. Thailand? I had a good trip to British Columbia with the family. Much closer to home Spain has been the location of several family trips.

Birding vacations

Hi MK.
We are in a similar situation. Although we both bird, we like to find areas which we can get to on package tours to keep the cost down. We are slightly advantaged as we are in Canada, but we certainly see visitors from the UK in most places.
To date the best spots have been Cayo Coco in Cuba and Huatulco in Mexico. Both have resort-type accomodations for the family and have great birding. We were able to find guides in both areas also, so got to see some good endemics.
Let me know if you would like more details.

Two Jugs

Hi MK.
We are in a similar situation. Although we both bird, we like to find areas which we can get to on package tours to keep the cost down. We are slightly advantaged as we are in Canada, but we certainly see visitors from the UK in most places.
To date the best spots have been Cayo Coco in Cuba and Huatulco in Mexico. Both have resort-type accomodations for the family and have great birding. We were able to find guides in both areas also, so got to see some good endemics.
Let me know if you would like more details.

Two Jugs

I'd be interested in finding out more about your trip to Huatulco in Mexico. Perhaps you could post here or PM me.
I go on holidays with my non-birding wife and have found some good places to go so far: Dominican Republic, Goa and Gambia. All reports with pictures can be found on my website: http://www.ukbirds.net

I managed a very good combined birding/family holiday in Sri Lanka. Good wildlife and treks around Yala in the south that the whole family would enjoy the place, with elephants, leopards and much more to see. Botanical gardens at Kandy also worth a walk for whole family. Fantastic gardens with amazing plants and bamboos, plus it was the place where Bridge over the River Kwai was filmed. Superb beaches, wonderful people and birds everywhere.
regards,
Jono

Thanks very much for all the ideas. We will now look into all your suggestions and start weighing up the options. I know my wife would enjoy the Kenya option as she was born in Mombasa!

Hi MK,
For the last 4 years I have organised family summer holidays (July-August) which have kept the family happy & offered good birding -the options however are rarely cheap! I've included links below which give some further info about the venues.

For Kenya I would suggest staying at the Turtle Bay Beach Club at Watamu -superb facilities for a young family with good local birding at the Sabaki rivermouth & Arabuko-Sokoke forest as well as the possibility of an air safari to the Mara (fly from nearby Malindi) or a road safari to Tsavo east & west. Here is a link to a couple of galleries of images taken on our Kenya trip in August 2007: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/kenya

Costa Rica is also a great venue -unfortunately First Choice pulled the plug on their CR package deals last year. Though CR remains a great option. Our July 2008 CR trip images here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/costa_ricajuly_2008

Tobago is well-worth considering: -great for the family,a good range of birds & a 3 day trip to nearby Trinidad is easy to organise (Asa Wright Centre) -which will yield some real specials such as Trogons, Hummers, Bearded Bellbird & Oilbird amongst others. My images from our July 2006 trip here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/tobago & images of what to expect in Trinidad (my non-birding wife & I went there in May 2006) here: http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/trinidad

In the Asian tropics the Monsoon may interfere with potential holidays taken in July-August however Sri Lanka is a good option (check out the Jetwings eco website: http://www.jetwingeco.com/index.cfm?mid=1&id=1 )

Thanks again for all the ideas. We have decided on Costa Rica for our next big trip and told the kids there will be no inheritance left for them;). CR seems fascinating for non birders and birders alike. Planning has started and already we are reminded as to how little time a fortnight is!

You won't regret it MKB, check out my Vacational Trip Report from there. (& others')
I went with Mrs.H - a non-birder & she loved it.
However the recent earthquake destroyed the hummingbird cafe on my report as well as badly damaging the Poas Volcano Lodge.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back