• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dicrurus leucophaeus hopwoodi Baker, ECS, 1918 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Dicrurus leucophaeus hopwoodi Baker, ECS, 1918 OD here
I name this bird after Mr. Cyril Hopwood, who has done much useful ornitholgical work in the area it inhabits.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Ashy Drongo ssp. Dicrurus leucophaeus hopwoodi E. C. S. Baker, 1918
Cyril Hopwood (b.1880) was British forestry officer in the Imperial Forest Service, India (1901–1924) and an oologist. He was in the Chin Hills of Burma (Myanmar) at intervals (1913– 1915) and co-wrote 'A list of birds from the North Hills' (1917).

The Key to Scientific Names
John Cyril Hopwood (b. 1880) British forestry officer, Imperial Forest Service India 1901-1924, oologist (subsp. Dicrurus leucophaeus).

If there is an additional name John is unknown to me. I assume this derived from here or even more likely here

John Cyril Hopwood was born on 3 March 1880 at 16 Pont Street, London, England.He was the son of John Turner Hopwood and Mary Augusta Henrietta Coventry.
Mr. John Cyril Hopwood , who has been appointed by His Majesty's Secretary of State for India to the Imperial Forest Department as Assistant Conservator of Forests , 2nd grade , reported his arrival in Rangoon on the 2nd December 1901, before noon. Mr. Hopwood is posted to the headquarters of the Thayetmyo Forest Division of the Pegu circle.

It would be interesting to know when he died?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back