• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did I see a leaden flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

HEAC123

Australia
Hi, amateur here.

I went for a walk at Crusoe reservoir in central Victoria a couple of weeks ago. I regularly see restless flycatchers there, however this one morning I spotted a flycatcher that appeared smaller and had a light-orange chest and throat. Comparing it with images I've seen, I believed I saw a female leaden flycatcher. However, when I checked out ebird, there were very few records of this species at this particular location. This made me second guess myself (as this location very regularly gets ebird entries). Furthermore, I'm also aware that restless flycatchers can have orange on their chest as well. I was no longer confident with my initial identification.

However, I noticed on ebird recently someone recorded a leaden flycatcher at Crusoe reservoir just in the in past week. I also saw a social media post (again in the last week) of a female leaden flycatcher claimed to be taken at Crusoe reservoir.

I didn't manage to get a photo, apologies for that. I must say it did look very similar to the photos of female leaden flycatchers I've seen, and the fact it was smaller than the other restless flycatchers I saw that morning made me lean toward a leaden flycatcher.

Could I have some help confirming this ID, a second opinion maybe?

Hi HEAC123 and a warm welcome to BirdForum :) Hopefully, someone will be by to help you out. I sure know, I couldn't )

Light orange chest AND THROAT sounds good for Leaden to me
The extent of orange in a female Restless is much less, wouldn't extend up the throat. More of a buffy wash than orange too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back