• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping for a wrinkly. (1 Viewer)

Tiger1

As an old wrinkly with not heaps of cash to spend I would like to try digiscoping.
I have a Kowa TSN 821M with a 20-60x angled zoom.
1. Would this scope be suitable.
2. What reasonably priced camera would do.
3. What adaptor would I need.

I have a Canon Powershot SX10IS and a Fuji Finepix S3500 but have been told none of them are suitable.

Any advice appreciated.

Tiger1

Hi. The scope is ok but using the zoom might add a few complications. Firstly you'd need a camera with a digicoping-friendly lens (ie one tolerant of eyepieces with not much eye relief). Not really sure which of the currently available cameras are best for this to be honest.

Re adaptors - the Kowa DA-1 (DA-1A) works with the 821M (as long as your camera has an accessory attachment thread) but you'd need to get it with the special zoom eyepiece adapter. Also you'd need to know what thread size to get it with. This would depend on the thread size of the accessory adapter of whichever camera you choose (if indeed it has one).

Hope this helps a little bit. Maybe someone else can suggest a specific camera.

Last edited:
I cannot suggest a camera or an adapter since I do not have a Kowa but again, the scope you have is quality, it will be fine.

Camera wise I state to take the scope in with you when you look at cameras so you get an idea if you will be experiencing vignetting with it.

You will need a solid support system to digiscope. Like the scope, don't cheapen out in regards to this as when looking at high magnification as you will with a scope, you need solid support underneath. I know I use a Benro C258 and a Manfrotto head 701HDV. A scope, plus head plus tripod gets heavy, be aware of that. .....

1. Yes, your scope should give you quite resonable results.
2. relatively cheap, easy to install and providing nice results? - second hand: for instance Nikons p5100, p6000, Sony w300, - for these you can connect a converter adapter (UR-e20, ur-e21 for Nikons, VAD-WF in case of Sony) that will screw together with a Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter
3. Kowa TSN-DA1 - the easiest way (but only for cameras accepting filters or filter/convetter adapters). Another option is DA-1 + DA-4 (far more costly) - here you can attach almost every camera you could think about...

Think of a steady tripod with a good head, and of some kind of remote shutter release (mechanical or electronical).

By the way - results from similar, bur smaller Kowa tsn-661 (without ED) coupled with canon a590is you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCkpEYC6KiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4xLkz4qzc

Hi Tiger;
Yes, I have the camera for you. The new Lumix DMC-FH1 is sharp and will do a great job digiscoping. Best camera I have seen for not vignetting with about any eyepiece you can find. And, the cost is $119. new. Yes, I know, the old P6000 and so on are still selling for like $350 if you can find them, well used. You can attach a threaded body mount if you want, just ask for instructions from me. The weight is only 146 grams, or less than 1/4 the weight of a 4/3 camera. Or, you can use a universal adapter, which I consider unsatisfactory and a pain. What ever. Is this image good at about 116 feet? Gene

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101684/109654/Q-EOwlmacrovsnon29th0033299_L.jpg

Last edited:
Tiger1,
I got into serious digiscoping with the TSN821m over 10 years ago and got some good images with it. As it's a non-flourite scope it doesn't do well up into trees against the light and at long distance over water, but at distances up to 30 metres it will give good results. I was using the older Nikon Coolpix 990/4500 with it but I wouldn't recommend using them now ( their screens are very poor compared to today's ).
As Gene suggested have a look at the Panasonic as they would be the best value for money at the moment. You can take you scope to a camera store and hold various cameras up to the eyepiece using the rubber eyecup for support. Zoom the camera lens until the vignetting disappears. If you have to zoom over half way then not so suitable as it reduces flexibility.
I would just jump in and buy the FH1 at this price get some experience.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back