• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping vs. DSLR Test (5 Viewers)

Sout,

remember these are taken from 20metres away and the text is only about 3mm high which is smaller than when you click on it, remember we are enlarging drastically here. Try photographing the text from an open book and 20metres and see if you can do better.

The issue is not if I could do better or not.

As I understood the purpose of the post you simply posted two pics and asked that we compare the quality between the two without any reference to what equipment was used or under what conditions the pics were taken.

I did just that.
Both were so poor to my eyes that I don't see any reason to lose any sleep over any real or imagined difference - you were clearly pushing the optics beyond what they designed for or they were both defective.

SF

Paul,

I have given up on this tread and this is my last post in it. I have no interest in discussions where people and don't show respect for others - this is just not my cup of tea. You can read my opinion about this topic, if this is of any interest to you, in my answer to your previous post.

Regards
Jules

I'm still waiting for a DSlR user to post a photo of a Redstart or similar sized bird to match SF's earlier posting at 150 feet. Or if that's too tough, then Paul's excellent Stone Chat at 20 metres. What about it DSLRers? Neil.

Paul,

I have given up on this tread and this is my last post in it. I have no interest in discussions where people and don't show respect for others - this is just not my cup of tea. You can read my opinion about this topic, if this is of any interest to you, in my answer to your previous post.

Regards
Jules

Jules

Firstly, your command of the English language has to be commended as you say its not your first language, but i am confused with your last reply

Having made the statement you made, and not come up so far with any objective evidence to substantiate your point, i find that you have just avoided the issue with the reply above, i cant see anywhere in this thread where you have not been respected?

If you have a point to make, then i would think its upto you to show us, not just tell us? all your opinions you have seemed to have replied with is generalisations, again IMHO this has been a healthy and interesting debate, but, its time to put your cards on the table dont you think? Can you actually answer any of my points on my last reply which i think was a very reasonable request?

Regards

Paul

I'm still waiting for a DSlR user to post a photo of a Redstart or similar sized bird to match SF's earlier posting at 150 feet. Or if that's too tough, then Paul's excellent Stone Chat at 20 metres. What about it DSLRers? Neil.

Neil,
I have been looking through some of my long shots. By "long" I mean anything much over 100 feet (30 meters) or so. Most of my shots are of small passerines so in order to get a decent size scale of the bird I can't get too far away.

I use only a DSLR but I don't use traditional SLR telephoto lens' but rather astro scopes and a spotter. The reason for this is simple. At about 500mm you are about at the practical limit of a conventional telephoto. This gives you only about 15x which is not enough. Put in a tele converter and you take a huge hit in optical quality and lens speed. I don't use conventional "Digiscoping" method because I have found it's just too clumsy, slow and with uncertain results when trying to get pictures of small fast moving passerines such as warblers. So, for me at least, the equipment I use works best for my particular needs. Not perfect just best for my purposes.

Anyway here are a few examples of, what for me are, longer shots.

Keep in mind that are have been drastically compressed and down-sized.

1. Cardinal fledgling taken at about 60 feet and cropped. Taken with a 1000mm fl f8.3 astro scope at 30x.
2. Adult male Cardinal at 80 feet and cropped a lot. Same setup as above
3. Sandbar shot 0.633 miles. This is exact. Taken with a Pentax 100mm spotter at 38x. Full frame no cropping
4. Hummer at 90 feet or so taken with astro scope. Cropped

Not very interesting shots but you asked for distant DSLR shot and this is what I happen to have.

Judge for your self.

SF

Attachments

• CARDINAL27.jpg
    CARDINAL27.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 97
  • CARDINAL21.jpg
    CARDINAL21.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 116
  • Target 1a.jpg
    Target 1a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 124
  • HUMMER13.jpg
    HUMMER13.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back