• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with KOWA TSN 883 (1 Viewer)

Apochromat

ZEISS VICTORY SF 8x42 SWAROVSKI EL 8.5x42 WB NL Pu
Hello,

just answering the thread started by Paperweight a year ago.

This is what I use for my digiscoping since two years and the results are very acceptable/ more than that:

I use the older LUMIX model GX 8 (the new version 9 is the slightly improved equivalent) with my KOWA TSN-883 and the Prominar 11 WZ eyepiece. I am more than pleased with the results (especially shooting stills in 4K). I have it combined with the LUMIX Pancake 20 mm objective attached with the appropriate filter adapters from KOWA to the TSN- DA10 KOWA MFT adapter. I bought the KOWA parts from my trusted sport optics dealer in Niederkassel- Rheidt/ Germany.

If budget is not an issue the new PANASONIC LUMIX DC-GH5 is even better as it can do 6K stills (2.25 times more expensive though).

You will need:
PANASONIC MFT GX- body
SD cards
PANASONIC G 20 mm/ F 1.7 II Asph. Pancake objective (46 mm filter thread)
PANASONIC LUMIX Cable-Remote Trigger DMW-RS2E (not the cheap copies around, they only last a short time)
1 extra PANASONIC akku with charger
HOYA FUSION ANTISTATIC Protector Filter 46 mm
KOWA Adapter-Ring 46 mm on TSN- DA 10 adapter
KOWA TSN- DA 10 adapter

Some people buy the LEICA 25 mm SUMMILUX instead. For me there is no difference in image quality when digiscoping.

The technique was first described by Paul Hackett, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFyXPNcKvMQ

All the best
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks, Michael, for picking up my question from last year and answering it. I'm still sticking with my Sony RX 100 II on which I have fixed the attachable viewer. I like the quality of the results but what keeps getting on my nerves is I always have to take care to move the camera away from the DA 4 to avoid contact of the eyepiece and camera lenses. I'll have a look at what you are using.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back