• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distant owl in flight in Tajikistan today...Short-eared? (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I took these photos this morning in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The owl was flying away northward, not foraging over the sewage treatment impoundments where I was birding. My initial impression from its floppy flight was Short-eared Owl, which should pass through on migration even though there are no observations in Tajikistan on any database catalogued by gbif.org. However I want to be sure we can safely eliminate Long-eared, especially since I've never seen Long-eared in flight. Comparing to photos in the Macaulay Library, it seems unstreaked enough on the belly and underwings to eliminate LEOW, and other possible species (Ural, Tawny, Eurasian Eagle-Owl) seem to be eliminated based on wrist and wingtip markings. Its flying during the day also seems to point to SEOW. I'd appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• DSCN8543owl.JPG
    DSCN8543owl.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN8544owl.JPG
    DSCN8544owl.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN8547owl.JPG
    DSCN8547owl.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8550owl.JPG
    DSCN8550owl.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN8551owl.JPG
    DSCN8551owl.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 57
My initial impression from its floppy flight was Short-eared Owl
Worrying! - short-eared owls have a distinctly stiff-winged flight - I wouldn't have called it floppy at all myself, but we all have our different perceptions. Most readily identified though as short-eared (rather than long-eared) owl by pic 3 which shows very well the marked concentration of underbody streaking around the head.

Along with the dark tips as said up thread by Grahame, it also has a pale belly. I thought LeOs have a more heavily streaked belly. Is the pale belly no longer thought of as a good identifier if observed in certain light conditions (dusk and overcast according to the Collins 2nd ED by Lars Svensson et al)?

Edit: Sorry Phil, I missed the mention of the pale belly in my first reading.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back