• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK owl list (1 Viewer)

If you're not counting birds that aren't breeding, I wonder about your geese, duck- and waderlists! ;)

Eurasian Scops Owl must be one of the easiest owls to see anywhere in its range. I wonder where in Spain you are, that you have a hard time connecting with this one...?

That's a really funny idea. I have seen from up close and in great detail Arabian, Africa, Pallid and Collared Scops Owl, easy peasy lemon squeazy. I have heard countless Eurasian Scops Owl across several countries (including the Czech Republic!) and all I ever saw was a distant flying smudge.

Only just come across this thread. Little Owl has never been recorded as a Category A vagrant in Britain.

The 2 birds in 1758 were assumed to be escapes/releases.

It is a Category C1 bird - Naturalized translocated species – that is species that have occurred only as a result of translocation(s),
also E* - Species that have been recorded as introductions, human-assisted transportees or escapees from captivity, and whose breeding populations (if any) are thought not to be self-sustaining. Species in Category E that have bred in the wild in Britain are designated as E*.
it is also a Category F bird - found in the fossil record.

That's a really funny idea. I have seen from up close and in great detail Arabian, Africa, Pallid and Collared Scops Owl, easy peasy lemon squeazy. I have heard countless Eurasian Scops Owl across several countries (including the Czech Republic!) and all I ever saw was a distant flying smudge.
It's a rooftop bird in many S-European villages, visible in streetlights, in my experience.

They live in villages? I was looking at all the wrong places then. thanks for the hint! Next time in southern Europe I'll try to focus on this, maybe finally break the curse.

They live in villages? I was looking at all the wrong places then. thanks for the hint! Next time in southern Europe I'll try to focus on this, maybe finally break the curse.
I reckon they occur a bit everywhere, but at least if they are close to / in villages and gardens, those seem to be more confiding. I've had them on rooftops of churches and houses in some villages in Italy and Spain, and have heard about similar experiences in e.g. Cyprus,...

Jan

Just added it to my photo yearlist on my Rock Partridge trip. A bird in the town of Posedarje, Croatia. A bit of work as it was tight in the middle of a pine & we only had a small torch with us but tracked down with the thermal imager. I would echo the listen in towns and villages and track it down approach...

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20230326_212203~2.jpg
    20230326_212203~2.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back