• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diver sp, Durham, UK 12/11/21 (1 Viewer)

Hello again,
I agree with Andrew, that this has to be a "pitfall-picture" of Red-throated Diver.
I hope the term "pitfall-picture" doesnt come out as an offense, so I will explain it:
  • its hard to judge imo, if the straight forehead, merging into the bill, resulting in a smooth triangular, yet still rounded head, is not the result of camera angle. If its real, its a good shape for a Red-throated Diver, if not than its a pitfall picture of a BTD
  • I hope to see the "cobra-shaped" neck shape of a rear-viewed Black-throated Diver. But I see a uniform, still broad neck, good for both of them (is it slightly better for a RTD, I am not sure, I hope for others to jump in)
  • yes, the pale throat patch seems good for a RTD, but camera angle makes this hard to judge. Might well be easier with a side or a slightly front view
  • I have lost faith in colouration/pattern of the flanks as a feature in basic-plumaged birds. Yes, if the bird has dark(ish) flanks with a contrasting white patch on the rear tigh area (yes, it must be strightly in the right area) than I go for a BTD, but only then. So I skip this feature here.
  • Look, how long the head and the bill is. Even allowing for a foreshortening effect, this gives this bird a RTD jizz to me. But yes, it can be a pitfall picture of a BTD.
I must admit, this post came out more confident, than it is intendet to be. But yes, I am in the 1 cy Red-throated Diver-camp here, too.

Hello again,
I agree with Andrew, that this has to be a "pitfall-picture" of Red-throated Diver.
I hope the term "pitfall-picture" doesnt come out as an offense, so I will explain it:
  • its hard to judge imo, if the straight forehead, merging into the bill, resulting in a smooth triangular, yet still rounded head, is not the result of camera angle. If its real, its a good shape for a Red-throated Diver, if not than its a pitfall picture of a BTD
  • I hope to see the "cobra-shaped" neck shape of a rear-viewed Black-throated Diver. But I see a uniform, still broad neck, good for both of them (is it slightly better for a RTD, I am not sure, I hope for others to jump in)
  • yes, the pale throat patch seems good for a RTD, but camera angle makes this hard to judge. Might well be easier with a side or a slightly front view
  • I have lost faith in colouration/pattern of the flanks as a feature in basic-plumaged birds. Yes, if the bird has dark(ish) flanks with a contrasting white patch on the rear tigh area (yes, it must be strightly in the right area) than I go for a BTD, but only then. So I skip this feature here.
  • Look, how long the head and the bill is. Even allowing for a foreshortening effect, this gives this bird a RTD jizz to me. But yes, it can be a pitfall picture of a BTD.
I must admit, this post came out more confident, than it is intendet to be. But yes, I am in the 1 cy Red-throated Diver-camp here, too.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, appreciate it, unfortunately these were the best I could manage, sea was extremely rough and windy.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back