• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

do buzzards hunt rooks on feeders? (1 Viewer)

wills35

last w/end my wife and i were watching our feeders with a big rook gorging itself on sun flower seeds, when out of nowhere, what we think was a buzzard swooped down talons out stretched trying to take this rook? has anybody known of buzzards hunting rooks or large birds in this way? or could this have been another raptor? it happened so quickly a good indentification was not possible:-O we are on the west coast of wales

Last edited:
last w/end my wife and i were watching our feeders with a big rook gorging itself on sun flower seeds, when out of nowhere, what we think was a buzzard swooped down talons out stretched trying to take this rook? has anybody known of buzzards hunting rooks or large birds in this way? or could this have been another raptor? it happened so quickly a good indentification was not possible:-O we are on the west coast of wales

have witnessed a couple of times buzzards taking crows, few weeks ago came across one in a field that was cradling a still struggling jackdaw. also have a pair that nest nearby a local rookery and find several rook remains around the nest

I remember when some years ago living in Cumbria being told of a buzzard that would often attempt to take rooks at dusk at a local rookery, the bird was actually a big female Goshawk

I think it is unusual, but can happen.

Especially in winter when snow is high you can see buzzards also hunting on birds, though I think their success rate isn´t good.

At a german forum there were some photos some time ago where a Common Bussard had grabbed an adult Herring gull and was trying to overpower it-thats about similar size...
The Gull fought back and managed to get free again.

Here in north-east Scotland, Rooks are a major prey item for Buzzards, so it is definitely possible. A couple of years ago, I was looking down into an active buzzard's nest from the slopes above and the nest and surrounding tree branches were littered with rook wings. I think younger rooks are more likely to be taken, and particularly at this time of year as they are starting to explore away from the rookery.

While recognising that common buzzards do take birds , its seems a rare event in North Norfolk. I watch common buzzards almost every day from March to September and less frequently during the winter and yet after 1000s of hours I have only seen one chase or kill a bird . That was a flightless fledgling coot. The mainly take voles and rabbits ( sometimes 3\4 grown rabbits ) and small items , probably beetles or worms. I often see them feeding on long horn beetles when the swam around felled pine trees. Even road kills are shunned by my local buzzards.

Buzzard take a Herring Gull? That must have been dificult as HG's would probably be able to hurt Buzzards? HG's are bigger than Buzzards too. They average at 66cm whilst Buzzards 50cm.

Have Buzzards shrunk - 15 years ago most would estimate Buzzard size at 60cm and now 50cm? That makes Goshawks bigger than Buzzards esp female ones, not including wingspan of course.

Buzzards do look slow but at their fastest can they hunt crows? Or would they take crows when they get too close when mobbing?

Can Buzzards or have they ever been recorded taking Ravens? hares?

Buzzard take a Herring Gull? That must have been dificult as HG's would probably be able to hurt Buzzards? HG's are bigger than Buzzards too. They average at 66cm whilst Buzzards 50cm.

According to the BTO, http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob2870.htm#More_info the Common Buzzard averages 54cm in length. Herring Gull is recorded at 60cm. http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob5920.htm, so not too much bigger.

Taking mass into consideration, the Herring Gull is quite a bit bulkier:

Herring Gull: Male: 1.2 kg, Female: 0.948 kg, Mean: 1.074 kg,

Common Buzzard: Male: 0.780 kg, Female: 1 kg, Mean: 0.89 kg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back