• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you have a collection? How you downsize it? (1 Viewer)

The well known auction site generally gives reasonable results, at least it did for me some years back..
Ymmv, but I found that most buyers were honest and prices usually rose to near expected levels in the last few minutes before the auction closed.
I found no benefit from setting a reserve price, start at $1 and let the buyers compete.
I did have at least 1 scam buyer in about 50 sales, Paypal is relatively cheap insurance.
I never owned or sold anything really rare, so my experience may not fit your situation.

For the seller ebay is nice, reaches a big audience, but the fees are getting bad, up to 15-17%. Also in the USA the Paypal Goods & Services income now gets sent to the IRS and will be added to your taxable income. Lots of good reasons to use the ads here or on Astromart if you can.

The binos won't sell or you won't part with them?
I've just noticed that people list as 'open box' (when they clearly aren't really) since anything else (admitting they are used, even if 'gently'), results in at easily a 30-40% reduction is value. So I was just venting about having to loose hundreds $ on any bino I've 'collected' in my fickle quest for perfection (and which I blame entirely on some individuals frequently seen around here!).:cry:

Things are only “worth” as much as you can get someone to give you for them, irrespective of your perceptions.

(one of life’s less pleasant lessons)

As of this week, I successfully reduced the group down to 6 binoculars...feeling pretty good about it! There were some difficult good-bye's, took some losses, but this amount seems perfect, over the course of 6 months I'll use all of them. Any further culls beyond this will be tough sledding :) all the ones that are left are my absolute favorites

As of this week, I successfully reduced the group down to 6 binoculars...feeling pretty good about it! There were some difficult good-bye's, took some losses, but this amount seems perfect, over the course of 6 months I'll use all of them. Any further culls beyond this will be tough sledding :) all the ones that are left are my absolute favorites
If you don't mind me asking which are your keepers? I'm guessing slc, and SF - what about the rest?

Giving them away is great fun too, most notably when the recipient is a good friend or family member.
So far two 8x20 Ultravids have gone that way, and my first real binocular Leitz 8x32b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back