• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dominican Republic Hummer (1 Viewer)

steve covey

Jack of all Orders - Master of None
Hi all, as promised I'm back with another puzzler from my friends visit to the Dominican Republic. As always I'll jump in with both feet and open myself to ridicule with my best guess first;)
Could this be a female Hispaniolan Emerald Hummingbird?
TIA,
Steve.
[another coming soon - this time a heron sp.]

Attachments

• Hummingbird sp1.jpg
    Hummingbird sp1.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 469
  • Hummingbird Sp2.jpg
    Hummingbird Sp2.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 127
Looks to me to be a Mango, Antillean on location, Anthracothorax dominicus , an immature or female

EDIT: on second pic a black stripe down central underparts is visible, making it an immature male according to Raffaele´s "Birds of the West Indies"

Last edited:
Yes, I am in agreement with Motmot and hummingbird; certainly an Antillean Mango. Note the decurved bill and maroon color on the tail. Female Hisp. Emerald is a very "plain-looking" Hummingbird, basically light-colored below and dull green above with small white tips to the recs. BTW, always nice to have photos of imm. Anthracothorax sp.

Yes, I am in agreement with Motmot and hummingbird; certainly an Antillean Mango. Note the decurved bill and maroon color on the tail. Female Hisp. Emerald is a very "plain-looking" Hummingbird, basically light-colored below and dull green above with small white tips to the recs. BTW, always nice to have photos of imm. Anthracothorax sp.

Many thanks everyone for your detailed replies. Not knowing anything about the taxonomy of these birds, are Mango's [and woodstars etc] different to 'ordinary' hummingbirds or are the names just arbitrary?
Cheers,
Steve.

Hi Steve,

Hummingbirds are a huge family of more than 300 species divided into a hundred or more genera. There's not really such a thing as an ordinary hummingbird, as some are called Hummingbirds, some Mangos, some Woodstars, some Sunbeams, some Sunangels etc etc, in a similar way to the (admittedly smaller but equally variable) Crow family, with its Crows, Ravens, Magpies, Jays, Jackdaws, Treepies etc.

So the same last common name appears in different genera in the hummingbird family (eg the rather different Ruby-throated Hummingbird and Sword-billed Hummingbird) just as it does in the crow family (eg the rather different Common Magpie and Azure-winged Magpie).............And some birds in the same genus have different last names in the hummers (eg Blue-chinned Sapphire and Cuban Emerald, in the same way as they do in the crow family (eg Carrion Crow and Brown-necked Raven).

..er .. that's how I understand it anyway !:eek!:

hope that's of some help

Hi Steve,

Hummingbirds are a huge family of more than 300 species divided into a hundred or more genera. There's not really such a thing as an ordinary hummingbird, as some are called Hummingbirds, some Mangos, some Woodstars, some Sunbeams, some Sunangels etc etc, in a similar way to the (admittedly smaller but equally variable) Crow family, with its Crows, Ravens, Magpies, Jays, Jackdaws, Treepies etc.

So the same last common name appears in different genera in the hummingbird family (eg the rather different Ruby-throated Hummingbird and Sword-billed Hummingbird) just as it does in the crow family (eg the rather different Common Magpie and Azure-winged Magpie).............And some birds in the same genus have different last names in the hummers (eg Blue-chinned Sapphire and Cuban Emerald, in the same way as they do in the crow family (eg Carrion Crow and Brown-necked Raven).

..er .. that's how I understand it anyway !:eek!:

hope that's of some help

Hi Larry, that's great, thanks. I suspected that might be the case but as we don't get many hummers in UK ;) it's not something one thinks about too much. Although the number of times I get a call from joe public saying they have a hummingbird in their garden when it's a Hummingbird Hawkmoth....!
Cheers,
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back