• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Donna Nook Seals (1 Viewer)

RoyH

I received this notice this morning. In my opinion this desaster has been just waiting to happen since they installed that fence stopping the Seals moving inland from the tide edge. 20 to 30 years ago you had to be aware of Seals being hidden in the sand dunes, now they have no where to go in bad weather conditions. I think its time they had a re-think on public viewing.
Todays Quote.

Monday 28 November
Beach and viewing area closed to all visitors An unusually high tide has washed away part of the fence and damaged the path.
Seals are spread throughout the public viewing area, pups have become separated from their mothers and some pups have been washed out to sea.

The viewing area is currently closed to all visitors. The distressed seals need peace and quiet in order for mothers to relocate their pups.
In addition, with seals within the public viewing area, public safety cannot be guaranteed.

Regards

Roy Howell.

Last edited:
Its not time they had a rethink on public viewing its time they had a rethink on people taking responsibility for themselves and stopped putting fences up or trying to "guarantee public safety". If you get hurt going near the biggest partly terrestrial carnivore in Britain you deserve all you get.

I agree the welfare of the seals and their ability to take refuge in the dunes should have priority, but I don't equate that with an issue over public viewing.

That said, I think disaster is putting it strongly for a species whose colonies not infrequently get washed out but which remains numerous and widely distributed round Britain.

John

Its not time they had a rethink on public viewing its time they had a rethink on people taking responsibility for themselves and stopped putting fences up or trying to "guarantee public safety". If you get hurt going near the biggest partly terrestrial carnivore in Britain you deserve all you get.

I agree the welfare of the seals and their ability to take refuge in the dunes should have priority, but I don't equate that with an issue over public viewing.

That said, I think disaster is putting it strongly for a species whose colonies not infrequently get washed out but which remains numerous and widely distributed round Britain.

John

John
I agree what you say about the public, many years ago before they introduced that fence the seals had free access inland before you had to be aware when walking through the dunes. They could put that fence higher on the sea bank but suggesting that this is public land they are going to have a hard job stopping walkers from using this facility who have done this for many years. Seals have suffered in the past due to not having shelter in stormy or adverse weather, so I still think this was just waiting to happen.

Many thanks for your comments.

Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back