• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dot inside spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Bobbird

Hello
I have bought a Hawke Endurance ED 25-75x85 spotting scope. When i am looking through it at 75x zoom if i look at the sky i see a slightly darker dot covering about half of the view. When i zoom out it seems to get smaller before it becomes invisible at 25x. The dot is not visible if i watch anything else than the sky. If i look through the ocular lens at 25x zoom from a distance i can see the dot. And when i zoom in it get smaller then turn into a light spot and grow into a larger dark spot at higher zoom. Also crisp clear image when focusing at any zoom level. I tried cleaning both sides of the ocular lens but the dot is still there. I wonder if this is normal or a defect? Maybe it has something to do with how optical zoom works? This is the first time i use a spotting scope.

Last edited:
Take out the eyepiece, hold it to a bright light and look through. It sounds like you have something creating this - so go have a look see if there is something insise the eyepiece. Then examine the scope the same way.

Take out the eyepiece, hold it to a bright light and look through. It sounds like you have something creating this - so go have a look see if there is something insise the eyepiece. Then examine the scope the same way.
I dont dare doing more than taking off the ocular lens and cleaning front and back of it. I will take it to a photo store and hear what they think about it. I would really hate myself if i mess up something.

I dont dare doing more than taking off the ocular lens and cleaning front and back of it. I will take it to a photo store and hear what they think about it. I would really hate myself if i mess up something.
Best idea. If in doubt, get it checked out.

Is the darker area in the centre? It could be eye placement issues which can take some experiment to get right even if you have experience with the typically more user friendly larger exit pupils on binoculars. I'd surely think just looking through scope and eyepiece against white light for foreign bodies would do it no harm; certainly a less risky procedure than the cleaning procedure you've already actioned. Sure I understand it would be safer to return to your retailer for advice than attempt any diagnostics which might do harm.

Assume you got that issue with eyecups on your Hawke Frontier ED X 10x42 sorted (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back