• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downtown Seattle, WA, United States - Juvenile Jaeger/Gull/Skua (1 Viewer)

theyaoster

United States
Hey all, there's this bird that likes to hang out on the roof of the building right by my apartment. It comes to this rooftop nearly every day and calls into the air when gulls are nearby. For a while, I thought it was a hungry juvenile gull - but if a gull approaches it and lands on the roof, it aggressively harasses the gull (biting its beak, making loud calls, following closely), and sometimes the gull will regurgitate its food. So now I think it's a jaeger, but I'd like some more experienced eyes on it before I draw conclusions.

Here's a still of it standing on the roof:

IMG_6376_cropped.jpg

And for additional context, here is a video with audio of the calls it makes to "attract" gulls. It also demonstrates the kleptoparasitism I described earlier (though in this case I don't think the gull gave up any food). Another thing captured in the video is something I've only seen on a handful of occasions - it will pick up random objects (twigs, debris) and present it to the gull. My best guess is it is trying to trade for food, but to me that seems a bit contrary to the typical behavior of just stealing it.

Understood, thank you for the insight there. I have an unrelated newb question though - what does c25% mean? I couldn't find it searching through the dictionary thread or Google.

Understood, thank you for the insight there. I have an unrelated newb question though - what does c25% mean? I couldn't find it searching through the dictionary thread or Google.

Abbreviation of "circa". Means "approximately". Nothing specific to birds (or percentages) :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back