• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drongo-Cuckoos (1 Viewer)

Snapdragyn

In reviewing the possible split of Surniculus dicruroides & lugubris, I've found that the entire taxonomy seems to be a bit of a mess.

Rasmussen & Anderton (2005) indicate both on the plates of v1 & in the text of v2 that dicruroides refers to the fork-tailed taxon, & that it is found in sw. India & Sri Lanka. Other sources I've referenced - Internet Bird Collection, Globaltwitcher, Robson (2002) - indicate that dicruroides refers to the square-tailed taxon, and that it is found from the Himalayas of n. India eastwards & then south through Indochina. Leaving aside for a moment the question of whether a split is justified, I just can't seem to sort out which name properly belongs to which form!

Clements 2010 gives the range of dicruroides as N India to s China and Indochina; winters to Indonesia.

Niels

The name lugubris type area is Java. (Horsfield) The name dicruroides type area is Nepal. (Hodgson) Blyth called the lugubris birds Square-tailed Drongo-Cuckoo. He named the dicruroides birds Fork-tailed Drongo-Cuckoo.
A catalogue of the birds in the museum of the Hon. East-India Company, Volume 2 Moore & Horsfield 1858.

Thanks all. Looks like Rasmussen & Anderton had it completely backwards, both in scientific name & common name. Odd that there's no errata for that (that I could find, anyway).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back