• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

drongos - Cat Tien NP, Vietnam (1 Viewer)

beechwood

These two birds were seen on 25th January. I am struggling to ID them definitively. The first looks like a Bronzed Drongo given darker face and short tail. The next 2 photos are of the same bird which I think is an Ashy Drongo (but seems very blue). Can anyone confirm please?

Attachments

• DSCN1946a.JPG
    DSCN1946a.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN1937a.JPG
    DSCN1937a.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1930a.JPG
    DSCN1930a.JPG
    860 KB · Views: 21
I think the first one could be Greater Racket-tailed, or maybe Hair-crested, but it's a bit too blurred for me. Agree the other one looks good for Ashy

1. Greater Racket-tailed Drongo. Clearly one of the larger Drongos on bill structure alone, the bill does give the impression of being downcurved but the angle is not great and its an effect of the strongly curved culmen. Note the upperparts are heavily glossed, whereas in Hair-crested the mantle is black contrasting with wings that are glossed green. Tail structure is another pointer to ID and you can just make out a broken extension on the lhs.
2-3 Agree Ashy, one of the 'Sooty' or leucophaeus group so, either ssp. mouhoti or bondi both of which winter in S Vietnam.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back