• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duped by a Woody - Pyrenees France? (2 Viewers)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
So I was chasing drummers this morning and this little fellow showed up. The wood has held all the woodpeckers available in the Pyrenees...

Anyway, I had already seen and heard - Middle Spot, great Spot and followed up with black - distant and green.

Scene set

There were 3 drummers and some calls around and about and I clocked this one. I snapped two quick shots as it drummed but try as I may I couldn't get a clear view. Then a Great came into the next tree and then there were none.

The drum was weaker than Great but longer. I thought to myself and commented as much that it didn't seem long enough. Now I have reviewed the pictures I think it is Middle not Little - which was my target - so hence I think I was duped - I have never, in my memory, heard one drum before and honestly thought they didn't....

Attachments

• IMG_8039.JPG
    IMG_8039.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8040.JPG
    IMG_8040.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
It really can often help to give the actual location - as it would here - given that the head-pattern is suggestive of white-backed woodpecker which appears to live only in one half of the Pyrénées: black reaching up in a separate line from the rear of the ear-coverts to join the crown.

It's a wood where White Backed used to breed, no records for probably 10 years, but also right on the limits of its eastern range (excluding the small population nearer Toulouse). Argeles is the nearest town.

I felt that it was lesser or middle - didn't seem big enough for White Backed but I will go back to my books! I would also suggest was a little low in altitude - about 550m.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back